turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband lives and works in CA during the week (all year) while I reside in AZ in the house we own. We have one income. How should we plan to file our taxes for 2020?

One income household with dependents.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KittyM2
Expert Alumni

My husband lives and works in CA during the week (all year) while I reside in AZ in the house we own. We have one income. How should we plan to file our taxes for 2020?

Is your husband an established Arizona Resident who took a job in California, or a California resident attempting to establish Arizona residency?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Currently CA resident wanting to continue his residency while I reside in AZ.

KittyM2
Expert Alumni

In this case, you will file a [Joint] California Resident return. You may or may not need to file an Arizona Non-Resident return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

You must file in both states.  That's because both AZ and CA are both community property states.  Here is AZ's rule on your situation:

If your nonresident spouse is a resident of a community property state, then the total community income will include income from both Arizona and the state where your spouse is a resident. Total community income would include wages you and your spouse (if a resident of a community property state) earn while you are married.  

https://azdor.gov/sites/default/files/media/PUBLICATION_200.pdf

As an AZ resident, ALL your income is taxable by AZ.  Since you have community income from your husband's job in CA, you must file an AZ tax return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies