Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal says “pending” but my state taxes says” Started” is there a reason why it says started and not pending like federal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

My federal says “pending” but my state taxes says” Started” is there a reason why it says started and not pending like federal?

One  reason could be that the state has not yet finalized the form.The state and federal government approve the most common forms first and work their way down the list. Please see the links for form availability. Once a date shows up, the reality should be close. Once released, Turbo Tax will work quickly to get it working in the program.

State form availability

Another reason could be that you marked state as mail instead of efile. Lastly, you may not have actually finished the state return. 

Please reply with more information to help clarify if none of these are the situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey Amy! Thanks for the reply! When I select “Download/print returns” my D-400 is on there. Does federal need to process my return first then the state will process? USUALLY when I do them together they both say processing. This is the first time the state ever the state said started. I’m pretty sure I did e-file on both.  

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

It sounds like only your federal return has been transmitted.  You won't be able to e-file your state return by itself until your federal return has been accepted.  When that happens you can go back into TurboTax and e-file your state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies