turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from NY to PA, continued working in/commuting to NY for 1 month. Received 2 W2s, but PA's W2 lists Local Philly Income/Tax, not PA state. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Moved from NY to PA, continued working in/commuting to NY for 1 month. Received 2 W2s, but PA's W2 lists Local Philly Income/Tax, not PA state. What do I do?

You will still need to file a Pennsylvania part-year return.

Your employer did not withhold any state tax for PA but you still need to file the return.

When you say that you received two W-2s, did you change employers or did your employer just do two part-year W-2s?

Note that you will owe NY tax on that one month of commuting to NY, but PA should give you a credit for the amount of tax paid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply @BillM223 

I am in the middle of filing the part-year PA return.

Same employer issued 2 W2s - 1 with nyc address & taxes, the 2nd with Philly Local income & taxes listed, just no State Income or taxes listed. When I come to the end of PA part-year, it says "something unusual is occurring" because there is no State Tax listed for my Commuting Expenses to be deducted from. So I'm not sure what to do there. Also, how do I get the credit for taxes paid tp NY? I didn't see that while doing the PA form.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Is the Box 1 amount (Wages) the same for both W-2s? If so, you will have to improvise because otherwise your federal income will be reported twice.

Or did your employer put your PA wages in Box 1 on the second W-2?

@BillM223 The W2 for PA only has information in Boxes 18, 19 & 20 (& 13). No other Numbered boxes are filled in (Boxes A-E also contain info). The NY W2 has all Wages in Box 1.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

In this case, I would combine the two W-2s into one W-2.

I assume that the box 13 information is the same on both W-2s, right?

Go ahead and add the boxes 18-20 information to the first W-2 (in TurboTax, you can add the associated state, so TurboTax knows where it is going). This means that you will have NY state info and PA locality info on the same W-2 (I assume it will work).

And make sure to delete the second W-2.

See if this gets around the error.

@BillM223 So, I should go back to the Federal part to amend/delete the W2 info there? Can I have 2 different City/Local Wages/Taxes listed on 1 W2? Do I need to contact my former employer for a Corrected W2?

& yes, Box 13 is the same on both W2s.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

"Can I have 2 different City/Local Wages/Taxes listed on 1 W2?" Oh, you mean that the first W-2 had NYC taxes and now you will add the PA locality tax? 

Well, there is more than line available for input for boxes 18-20, so I don't see why not. Like I said, give it a try.

And, yes, go back to the federal input interview and delete one W-2 and amend the other to include the PA locality information.

If this works, you won't need a corrected W-2, although you should write down notes about what you did in case anyone ever asks (the states get copies of your W-2s, so they will receive two W-2s, but hopefully when they see that the numbers are correct, this won't be a problem).

@BillM223 I went back to the W2 info & noticed I already did combine them into only having 1 W2 (sorry, I started this months ago & got overwhelmed and had to put it away for a bit for my sanity lol so I forgot I already did this). Do you have any other suggestions for me?

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Sanity is a good thing 😉

Are you getting any error messages? 

As for your Philadelphia local tax, you might review this post in case it answers any questions that you might have - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/how-do-i-file-my-city-taxes-for-philadelphi...

Oh, your NY state tax should be automatically handled as a credit on your PA return, but do look to make sure.

I haven't encountered any error messages yet, just confusing ones that make me think there is going to be a problem, and wanted to clear it up before proceeding. That link you provided was also confusing, lol, but thank you for sending the information you could find. Sorry for the delay in responding - I realized I was missing something important to include in my taxes and I'm still trying to chase it down before I can continue.

As for checking to make sure the credit appears on the PA return, what am I looking for, and where (when I get there)?

@BillM223 Hi Bill! I'm trying to finish up, and that credit for NY you mentioned making sure appears on my PA return is showing as $0. I clicked 'edit' and it is asking for Double-taxed income from NY & to enter the amount taxed by both NY & PA. I am at a complete loss of what to fill in here. There is a "New York Amount" column & a "Your Amount" column. How do I determine this/where is that info found? Thank you so much for all of your help so far. I am stuck here & can not proceed.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

An example of double-taxed income is income you earned while living in Pennsylvania but were still working for that New York company. New York is going to tax that money, but so is Pennsylvania because you were living in PA at the time.

"There is a "New York Amount" column & a "Your Amount" column" I can't picture this screen. Which state is it in? And what is the heading at the top of the screen? And you are filing part-year resident returns on both states, right?

@BillM223 

I did the NY Return 1st and am now on the PA Return.

Taxes Paid to Other States Summary shows New York Credit = $0. I click Edit.

Other State= New York (continue)

Any Double-Taxed Income from New York?
Enter income amounts taxed by both Pennsylvania and New York and the tax due on that income.
NY Amount/Your Amount & asks for the following info under each:
Gross Compensation, Interest Income, Dividend Income, Business or Fram Income, Rents/Royalties/Patents/Copyrights, Sales Gains or Losses, Estate or Trust Income, Gambling/Lottery Winnings, Other Income, Tax Due to NY on income above.

Yes, both are Part-Time resident.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies