Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Minnesota PTE tax not supported by CD version of TurboTax

TurboTax says I can't file my state return electronically because I have a Minnesota PTE credit.

Yes I am a CD guy, program installed on my hard drive, updates run automatically every time I start the program if there are any.  Did the check for updates too. Software says it is up to date. Ran the recheck again and I get the same message:

"The return contains a pass through entity tax credit on Schedule M1REF"

"Turbo Tax does not support this information to be filed electronically"

So either you need to do an update for the CD version or I should try to download the program from InstallTurboTax.com and use the online version?  If I try the online route, I do not want to lose all the data I have input, so can I save the two data files on a thumb drive and install after the update or use them in soem other way or would I have to start all over?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify if you should have the MN PTE Credit in your return?  Or is this an error because you don't have the credit?

@jdnaylor 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes the forms work fine in the Minnesota return.  It accepts the data for M1REF and also shows it in forms view.  It is only that TurboTax doesn't want to file electronically.    See above.  Maybe this is not a bug, but how the program works this year because of some issue with Minnesota Department of Revenue?  I'm just trying at this point to decide if a fix is coming by April 15 so I can file electronically or if I should just go ahead and file a paper return because that's how it works this year....

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Sch PTE can be efiled. All of the rejection codes link to line 23. Since yours is not a rejection issue but a filing issue, there is more going on.

I would like to take a deeper look at this. However, I need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the  directions below:

TurboTax Online:

Sign into your online account.

Locate the Tax Tools on the left-hand side of the screen. 

A drop-down will appear. Select Tools  

On the pop-up screen, click on “Share my file with agent.”

This will generate a message that a diagnostic file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.

Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:

Open your return.

Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent

This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created.  Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.

Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies