Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MA Alimony is still deductible but not tranferring from Federal

I believe that is for next tax year.  As of today I believe for TY 2022 alimony is deductible for MA irrespective of deduction on federal taxes

This on the mass.gov website TODAY

For Massachusetts income tax purposes however, Massachusetts adopts the federal rules as they existed on January 1, 2005 with respect to the deduction of alimony payments and the inclusion of such payments in income. Therefore, Massachusetts taxpayers can still take a deduction for alimony payments made to a former spouse on their Massachusetts personal income tax return and recipients of such payments must still include them in gross income for tax years subsequent to the TCJA.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/alimony

And that is my defense if I'm wrong lol

The updated IRC conformity applies to tax year 2022.

"Pursuant to the FY23 Budget, the Massachusetts personal income tax generally conforms to the Code as amended on January 1, 2022 and in effect for the taxable year for these purposes, effective for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2022."

https://www.mass.gov/technical-information-release/tir-23-1-tax-provisions-in-the-fiscal-year-2023-b... 

Thanks.  I believe you are correct

I have already filed my taxes based on the guidance that was on the mass.gov website at the time and remains unchanged as of TODAY (which says deductible)

I'll reach out to them (mass.gov) to notify them that their info is dated.  Not sure why/how they could expect the average person to going digging into the technical updates when their main site says something else

It looks like Massachusetts just hasn't updated their website.

According to what was posted earlier by makeislesstaxing21

https://www.mass.gov/technical-information-release/tir-23-1-tax-provisions-in-the-fiscal-year-2023-b...

It states in section II: Code Update.

"Pursuant to the FY23 Budget, the Massachusetts personal income tax generally conforms to the Code as amended on January 1, 2022 and in effect for the taxable year for these purposes, effective for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2022."

Edit:  It looks like it was cleared up in the above 2 posts.

Yup and I just told them so (mass.gov the department of revenue)

And if they ever complain about my return I will use that as my defense.  I went by what you had on YOUR website when I filed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies