turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

luketj8
Returning Member

Lived all 2019 in Indiana, received W2 from Ohio from delayed payroll 2018.

Hi I have a question. 

I moved to Indiana on December 20, 2018 from Ohio where I worked for company A. 

I got a new job in January 2019 at company B in Indiana. 

I received my final payment from company A on December 31, 2018, however their payroll ended January 11, 2019.

Today I received a W2 for that final pay from company A.  As a full year resident of Indiana in 2019, how do I file my state taxes? Ohio obviously withheld taxes due to me living there in 2018.  Do I file Indiana full year and Ohio non resident? When I add Ohio W2 into Turbotax my Indiana refund goes to owing, along with Ohio going from $0 to owing as well.  I'm a little confused.

Any help is appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

File your 2019 return as a full-year resident of IN.

If you want a refund of the incorrectly withheld OH taxes, you'll also have to file a non-resident OH return, showing zero OH income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
luketj8
Returning Member

That's sort of where I am confused, they weren't incorrectly withheld.  The error is that company A included it on a later 2019 payroll rather than when I received the payment in 2018.  If that doesn't matter as I received it while living in Indiana, how do I file showing $0 Ohio income? As in, where in turbotax is that? On the non resident form?

TomD8
Level 15

If your 2019 W-2 shows OH withholding in Box 17, you'll have to request a refund by filing a 2019 non-resident OH tax return.

You will enter the zero OH income on the non-resident OH return.

It's not necessary to use TurboTax for this.  Ohio offers a free fill-in PDF tax return here: https://www.tax.ohio.gov/portals/0/forms/ohio_individual/individual/2019/PIT_IT1040_Bundle_FI.pdf

You may want to attach a letter explaining why your return shows zero OH income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
luketj8
Returning Member

Thank you.  Last question...is the fact that adding this W2 for federal in Turbotax the reason I now went from a small state refund to owing Indiana? Is it because Indiana is treating this income as taxable by Indiana and not received yet?

TomD8
Level 15

If you were an IN resident for all of 2019, then ALL your 2019 income is taxable by IN, regardless of where you earned it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies