turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ronny2147
Returning Member

Where can I find the NY form IT-112-R form in turbo tax (or how can I get the option to include this form)

Im having an issue where it says my Tax amount should not be greater than tax imposed by other state, the original amount in line 24a was 720, i tried adjusting it and it increased my taxes owed. 

My token number: 1012319

annerpalmer8378
Returning Member

Where can I find the NY form IT-112-R form in turbo tax (or how can I get the option to include this form)

Hi, I'm having the same issue as others described with the NY resident form where it says "TP should not be greater than the tax imposed by another state." 

I completed the NJ form (my non-resident state) before NY (resident state). 

My token number is 1013692.

Thank you!

Hi, my token number # is: 1014508

I'm having the same issue as others here, I work in NJ & live in NY, and I'm getting this error message trying to force me to file via mail and not letting me e-file:

it-112-r (NJ): Tax Amount - TP should not be greater than the tax imposed by the other state.

Tax Amount - TP: [cell to input new/lower dollar amount]

@LenaH or any expert that can help,

Please and thank you,

I don't think I can mail file a NY return, I think I have to e-file for NY, I also want to be able to e-file the other returns (federal & NJ) if even if I can't e-file NY.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

To fix your error, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Click Edit next to New York.
  4. On the page, You Just Finish Your New York Return, click Start or Update next to Credits and Other Taxes.
  5. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes, click Start or Update next to Taxes Paid to Another State.
  6. Click Edit next to NJ.
  7. On the screen Enter New Jersey Information, erase $437 and enter total tax of $385. 
  8. Continue through your return.

If you decrease the amount of taxes paid to another state, your total credit will go down. This increases your New York taxes. 

@ronny2147

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

1. Open your return.
  4. On the page, You Just Finish Your New York Return, click Start or Update next to Credits and Other Taxes.
  5. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes, click Start or Update next to Taxes Paid to Another State.
  7. On the screen Enter New Jersey Information, erase $4,793 and enter total tax of $4,243.

[Edited 4/18/22 l 10:20AM PST]

@annerpalmer8378

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

1. Open your return.
  7. On the screen Enter New Jersey Information, erase $26,514 and enter total tax of $22,124.

@ny_and_nj

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

1. Open your return.
  7. On the screen Enter New Jersey Information, erase $4,883 and enter total tax of $3,245.
  8. On the next screen, erase $261 and enter $241. 
  9. Continue through your return.

@taxpayer3212321

cl20201
Returning Member

My Token Number is 1017048

I need to update Other State Tax Credit

Your advice worked perfectly, thank you so much!! 

KJ_88

Hello, I am having the same issue.  T-112-R NJ Tax Amount TP should not be greater than tax imposed by other state. I removed my NY wage line item from my jersey return but the error message is staying there. Can you help please?

My token ID is 1018768.

Lyyncc
Returning Member

Hello

I have the same issue on my tax forms.  It keeps saying 

IT-112-R (NJ) Tax Amount - TP should not be greater than the tax imposed by other state

But I did pay more taxes to NJ than were due - which means I am due for a refund (which was calculated by turbotax)

I cant find the error @LenaH 

khufham
Returning Member

Hi, 

I am having the same issue as I am a resident of NY but work in NJ. My token is 1066237, can you help me @LenaH 

Hello Expert, 

Jumping on this thread bandwagon a year later, Im having the same issue with the state taxes not being what the program expects given I live in one state work in another. My token number is 1066457

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Could you please clarify by letting us know the states you refer to.  Also, specifically what do you see that seems challenging. We may be able to assist more easily.

@awinter

@khufham

Sure- I live in NY and work in NJ (part of our income in NJ (married filing jointly)). 

During my State review the screen asks me to "Check this entry. IT-112-R(NJ): Tax Amount - TP should not be greater than the tax imposed by other state.

I tried reading the form. Part of what is confusing me is do I use the taxes state income tax number from W2 for each state or is there some "amount of income tax imposed" by that state that might not match what I show as paid in on my W2?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies