Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I find the NY form IT-112-R form in turbo tax (or how can I get the option to include this form)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Where can I find the NY form IT-112-R form in turbo tax (or how can I get the option to include this form)

It will generate automatically if it is needed.  That form is a resident return credit for taxes paid to another state or taxing district (such as DC).  If you lived in New York, but worked in another state, you will prepare your nonresident state return first in TurboTax to allow the program to calculate the credit.  Then, you will be able to verify that the credit has been calculated (TurboTax takes you through this in the interview).  If you don't see the information from the other state on the screen in the Taxes Paid to Another State screen, then you can manually input based on the other state's tax return.  Chances are, however, that it has transferred automatically and thus the form is provided.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

100 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It will generate automatically if it is needed.  That form is a resident return credit for taxes paid to another state or taxing district (such as DC).  If you lived in New York, but worked in another state, you will prepare your nonresident state return first in TurboTax to allow the program to calculate the credit.  Then, you will be able to verify that the credit has been calculated (TurboTax takes you through this in the interview).  If you don't see the information from the other state on the screen in the Taxes Paid to Another State screen, then you can manually input based on the other state's tax return.  Chances are, however, that it has transferred automatically and thus the form is provided.

gk1

Initially the credit given by my resident state for wages earned in other state considered the complete wages earned in column B it-211r. Now I’m doing an amendment. After updating other state amendment, and following with resident state, I noticed that the It-211r column B wage was not the “wage from other state” .. it was way too less and so resident state credit was bad, resulting in increased taxes. What happened ? How can I fix it ? Can the calculation for credit be made to recalculate ?
nathan seven
Returning Member

For me it does not generate automatically, what can I do?

I created the resident return first and the system don't allow to delete it 

SKny

Hi, I am having the same issue.  My NY taxes went up as I put down the income tax by NJ.  What is a right thing to do? Please advise. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you are still getting an error, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@SKny

JoelMalou

Token number is:976196

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

To fix your return for the New York credit of taxes paid to New Jersey, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Click Edit next to New York.
  4. On the page, You Just Finish Your New York Return, click Start or Update next to Credits and Other Taxes.
  5. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes, click Start or Update next to Taxes Paid to Another State.
  6. Click Edit next to NJ.
  7. On the screen Enter New Jersey Information, erase $1,943 and enter total tax of $581. 
  8. Continue through your return.

Your return no longer has any errors on form IT-112-R. 

@JoelMalou

Hi my token number is 994221

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please clarify what you are having a problem with. 

@ashgals2017

Hi! I am having the same issue where it says T-112-R NJ Tax Amount TP should not be greater than tax imposed by other state. I removed my NY wage line item from my jersey return but the error message is staying there. Can you help please?

LPaulet4

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Can you clarify what you are having a problem with?

@LPaulet4

Can you send me a token so I can help you further? The instructions are posted above. 

@sageorge

dadstray

I am having the same issue where the system says T-112-R NJ Tax Amount TP should not be greater than tax imposed by other state. I live in NY and work in NJ. I am trying to file and this is the only error the system finds, but I am not sure how to fix.

My token is 997506.

Can you review and see why this may still be causing an error?

Thank you for the help

My Token is 1000719

I am having the same issue as others described with the NY Resident form where "TP should not be greater than the tax imposed by another state." 

I did complete the NJ tax procedure (my non-resident state) before NY (resident state). Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies