Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is work done for a Washington company in New York considered New York source income?

Hi, I currently work for a Washington state company that allows remote work during covid and  I am interested in living in New York. From what I gather I can stay a non resident if I stay there less than 183 days during a tax year.

I see that even a non resident have to pay taxes for "New York source" income. https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm My question is, would my salary from the Washington company that I work for be considered "New York source" because I was living in New York as I was doing it?

According to https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm, New York source income includes services performed in NY and occupation carried on in NY. So wanted to make sure.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is work done for a Washington company in New York considered New York source income?

If you live in NY and work in NY, then your income is NY source, even if the payer is out of state.  Depending on whether you are temporarily visiting or permanently move to NY, you will owe NY either a non-resident return on your income earned while in NY, or you will owe a resident return on all your annual income from all sources. 

Be careful about "I am interested in living in New York."  Your domicile is where you live for tax purposes.  Your domicile is your permanent home, it is where you have significant family, social, financial and legal ties; such as your doctor, dentist, church, bowling league, voter registration, and so on.  There is no single factor that determines domicile, it is based on the combination of all factors.  If you change your domicile to New York, then you are a NY resident for income tax purposes, even if you are physically in New York state less than 183 days of the year.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Work income is "sourced" where the work is actually (physically) performed.  So money you earn by working in New York State, including remote work done in NY for an out-of-state employer, is NY-source income, and is subject to taxation by NY state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

If you live in NY and work in NY, then your income is NY source, even if the payer is out of state.  Depending on whether you are temporarily visiting or permanently move to NY, you will owe NY either a non-resident return on your income earned while in NY, or you will owe a resident return on all your annual income from all sources. 

Be careful about "I am interested in living in New York."  Your domicile is where you live for tax purposes.  Your domicile is your permanent home, it is where you have significant family, social, financial and legal ties; such as your doctor, dentist, church, bowling league, voter registration, and so on.  There is no single factor that determines domicile, it is based on the combination of all factors.  If you change your domicile to New York, then you are a NY resident for income tax purposes, even if you are physically in New York state less than 183 days of the year.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies