Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Indiana Filing is Very Confusing

I filed my Indiana return electronically with direct debit.  The return came with a coupon for sending a check for the same amount that I just authorized for direct debit.  The TTH&B instructions tell me to sign IT-8453-OL (which is NOT the same as the coupon which, incidentally, has no place for signatures).  I found that form in the .pdf package, but it clearly says NOT to mail it (both printed on the form header and watermarked all across the form). Any idea what TTH&B and Indiana DOR are thinking or what I'm required to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can toss the coupon if you already paid by direct debit.   It prints whether you paid by direct debit or not.   You electronically signed form IT-8453-OL.

Purpose of form IT-8453-OL:  This form is to be completed and signed by the taxpayer before their return can be filed electronically through the Federal/ State Online Filing Program.  

The Online Software will: 

1. Fill in the taxpayer’s (and spouse’s if filing a joint return) name, address, Social Security number, and daytime telephone number where indicated at the top of the form. 

2. Complete Part I, using the amounts from the taxpayer’s Indiana individual income tax return. 

3. Complete Part II, if the taxpayer elects to have their refund direct deposited into their financial institution savings or checking account or deposited into their Hoosier Works MasterCard® account. 

The Taxpayer will:

1. Complete Part III, with their signature and date. 

2. Fill in the submission ID once that information is provided. 

3. Mail nothing into the Indiana Department of Revenue, unless requested by the department

4. Keep and maintain the IT-8453OL for three (3) years from December 31st of the year the return was signed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The submission ID is known by the program. It is not emailed to you as this is private information and we want your information safe. You can call in and verify your identity to receive the submission id. However, it is not necessary unless the state requests the Form 8453. After 3 years, the form can be shredded. The chances are very low that you will be asked for the form.

Very few states have this requirement and I don't understand the logic behind it either unless as a validation. Officially, e-Signature options for e-file | FTB.ca.gov

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can toss the coupon if you already paid by direct debit.   It prints whether you paid by direct debit or not.   You electronically signed form IT-8453-OL.

Purpose of form IT-8453-OL:  This form is to be completed and signed by the taxpayer before their return can be filed electronically through the Federal/ State Online Filing Program.  

The Online Software will: 

1. Fill in the taxpayer’s (and spouse’s if filing a joint return) name, address, Social Security number, and daytime telephone number where indicated at the top of the form. 

2. Complete Part I, using the amounts from the taxpayer’s Indiana individual income tax return. 

3. Complete Part II, if the taxpayer elects to have their refund direct deposited into their financial institution savings or checking account or deposited into their Hoosier Works MasterCard® account. 

The Taxpayer will:

1. Complete Part III, with their signature and date. 

2. Fill in the submission ID once that information is provided. 

3. Mail nothing into the Indiana Department of Revenue, unless requested by the department

4. Keep and maintain the IT-8453OL for three (3) years from December 31st of the year the return was signed.

Thank you for your reply to my question.  One answer leads to a couple more questions:  Where (and when) does the Submission ID come from?  (It didn't come with the TT email confirmation of filing.) It seems like I am supposed to sign the form in Part III, fill in the ID from whomever and whenever, and then do nothing with it for three years (unless asked by IN DOR) and then just shred it?  Frankly, it's still not making much sense to me.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The submission ID is known by the program. It is not emailed to you as this is private information and we want your information safe. You can call in and verify your identity to receive the submission id. However, it is not necessary unless the state requests the Form 8453. After 3 years, the form can be shredded. The chances are very low that you will be asked for the form.

Very few states have this requirement and I don't understand the logic behind it either unless as a validation. Officially, e-Signature options for e-file | FTB.ca.gov

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies