turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Eihab123

I Worked in Memphis Tennessee for the whole year of 2019 and my W2 says i have State tax from MS (Misisipi).

Hi, im just doing my 2019 Tax return, i worked in Memphis TN for the whole year of 2019, did not work in any other state, just worked in one company and the only  company i worked for gave me my W2 but in the Block.15 says i have state taxes from MS (I believe MS means Misisipi), is that even possible ? What do i have to do ?

Its weird since why do i have to do state taxes for a state i havent worked for or even lived in ? I thought MS was an abbreviation of Memphis, but in the case it was Memphis, it should say TN (Tennessee) since memphis is from tennessee, and not MS.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I Worked in Memphis Tennessee for the whole year of 2019 and my W2 says i have State tax from MS (Misisipi).

If you have an amount in box 16 (state wages) your company has identified your wages as taxable by Mississippi (MS).  If you have an amount in box 17 (state income tax withholding) it means that money was held out of your check for MS taxes.

You should ask your company why your income is reported as taxable by MS.  If it is correct, you need to file a MS nonresident tax return.  If it is wrong and you paid MS taxes, you may have to file a MS nonresident return to get the MS taxes refunded.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies