Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fordkag

I stayed in Illinois August through December to attend college. I am a resident of Iowa and returned to Iowa during school breaks, am I also a resident of Illinois?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I stayed in Illinois August through December to attend college. I am a resident of Iowa and returned to Iowa during school breaks, am I also a resident of Illinois?

Your residence is based on your domicile. Your domicile is your permanent home - where you have your driver's license, where you are registered to vote, where you own your house, where the Post Office delivers your mail, and where you will return when you travel to other states or out of the country.

Most college students (especially undergraduates) normally retain their domicile at their parents' home while they are in college - even if out of state.

So, based on what you say, you would be a resident of Iowa. You would not file an Illinois return unless you made money in Illinois.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

Illinois and Iowa have tax reciprocity with regard to W-2 wages and salaries.

That means that, if you as an Iowa resident worked in Illinois, and your earnings were reported to you on a W-2, you would only have to file an Iowa tax return.  Such earnings are not taxable by Illinois.  They are taxable only by Iowa.

The only exception would be if your employer mistakenly withheld Illinois taxes.  In that case, you'd have to file a non-resident Illinois return, showing zero Illinois income, in order to have those taxes refunded to you.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies