turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jim2769

I moved PA to FL. My W2 says PA but worked/lived in FL. I did not update my address for over a month and possibly my employer. Should I claim as FL? Box15 says PA on W2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I moved PA to FL. My W2 says PA but worked/lived in FL. I did not update my address for over a month and possibly my employer. Should I claim as FL? Box15 says PA on W2

Enter your W-2 in TurboTax exactly as is.

If you moved during the tax year, you would file a part-year resident return for PA.  All your income prior to establishing your FL residence would be taxable by PA, as would any PA-source income you might have had after the move.

Technically, you became a FL resident on the day you began living in your new home (your domicile) in FL.

FL, of course, has no individual income tax.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Using an example:

You moved to FL May 1 and continued to work for the same employer all year. The employer withheld for PA thru June 1. You will file a part year resident PA return and report all your income for Jan 1 to May 1.  Because the amount your report as PA income, on your tax return,  will be less than the amount shown in box 16 of your W-2, there's a chance you will get a dunning letter from the PA Dept of Revenue.  Then you'll have to convince them of the error.

The above assumes you work at your employer's facility in FL. If your are a telecommuter, the rules are different.  PA is one of the hand full of states  that tax telecommuters working for PA companies.  If you work outside the state as a job requirement, you are only subject to PA State income tax on the days you work in PA. But if you work outside PA for your own convenience, you are subject to PA State income tax on all your income. New York, Nebraska, Delaware and New Jersey have the same rule. For guidance see: http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2009/jun/20091371.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies