Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived and worked in KS from 01/01-05/20/2020. I moved to MO on 08/01/2020 and work here. Why is my KS return also taxing my MO income when I lived in MO and not KS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I lived and worked in KS from 01/01-05/20/2020. I moved to MO on 08/01/2020 and work here. Why is my KS return also taxing my MO income when I lived in MO and not KS?

Where did you live (and work) between 5/20 and 8/1?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Technically Kansas is not taxing your Missouri income.  Rather, Kansas is using a prorate method to determine your Kansas tax.  In this method, Kansas pretends that all of your income is being taxed by Kansas and calculates what the tax would be on that income.  Then it determines what is the percentage of income that is taxable in Kansas, and then it multiplies the pretend amount by the percentage of income actually taxable to Kansas.  This would include any income you earned in Missouri while still living in Kansas.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies