turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jemiler

I live Ohio all year. Worked part of year for company in PA. They are reciprocal states. Do I include income in PA on PA return or is it excluded? Is included in Ohio?

How do I view w-2 income included on Ohio tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I live Ohio all year. Worked part of year for company in PA. They are reciprocal states. Do I include income in PA on PA return or is it excluded? Is included in Ohio?

Q. Do I include income in PA on PA return or is it excluded? 

A.  You do not file a PA tax return at all, unless PA tax was mistakenly withheld.  This assumes your income was as a W-2 employee and not a 1099-Misc contract employee.

Ohio has a reciprocal agreement, on wages,  with all neighboring states. No state taxes are withheld or due and you do not normally need to file a return for the other state (MI, PA, KY, WV, IN). But OH will tax you on your other state income.

If other state taxes are mistakenly withheld, you then have to file a return, for the other state, to get a refund. OH will not give you a credit. You should ask your employer to stop withholding so you don't have to file a  PA return every year.

Q. How do I view w-2 income included on Ohio tax return?

A. As a full year OH resident, TurboTax uses the Federal AGI in determining your Ohio taxable income.  So, all your W-2 income is included on the OH return, even if the W-2 shows PA in box 15, for some of the income  OH taxes all your income, you do NOT try to prorate it. 

TomD8
Level 15

OH residents who work as W-2 employees in PA should file PA Form REV-419 with their PA employer.  The form advises the employer that the employee is not subject to PA withholding.  Here's a link:

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforBusinesses/EmployerWithholding/Documents/rev...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies