turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live inAl and received a w-2 from IL. Do I put this on my Al taxes or file a separate il return. It’s for $1800 and no federal tax was taken out.

It’s for an opt out on health insurance but “salary” is indicated on the form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I live inAl and received a w-2 from IL. Do I put this on my Al taxes or file a separate il return. It’s for $1800 and no federal tax was taken out.

Is this for 2021? Have you already filed your 2021 tax return?

What state (if any) is shown in box 15 of the W-2 for the health insurance opt-out? If it's not IL, what makes you say that the W-2 is from IL?

Do you work in AL? Did you also receive a W-2 for your regular salary with AL in box 15?

Are the employer's name and EIN the same on both W-2s?

@langlois-mary wrote:
It’s for an opt out on health insurance but “salary” is indicated on the form.

Where on the W-2 does it say "salary"?

TomD8
Level 15

Is the employer who issued the W-2 based in Illinois?

Did you actually (physically) work in Illinois?

We need a bit more detail in order to answer your question correctly.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Do I put this on my Al taxes or file a separate IL return?

A. Simple answer: both. But, you need to explain more, particularly what does "received a w-2 from IL" mean?

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. 

Taxable fringe benefits are treated as salary for taxes purposes. That's why you got a W-2. But, if you live and work in AL, IL tax should not have been withheld.  You may have to file an IL return only to get a refund.  The income will be taxed on your AL return, regardless of how you handle IL.  If no IL was withheld, you do not need to file an IL return. 

Manage cookies