Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Fl but worked for a company out of MN do I have to file MN taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

@cstokesPR -- If you are a W-2 employee for a CA-based company, and you never lived in or physically worked in CA, then submit a non-resident CA return, showing zero CA income, in order to have any withheld CA taxes refunded to you. 

But if you are a self-employed sole proprietor, and you received a 1099-MISC from a CA-based client, due to a 2019 court decision that income would be taxable by CA even if you never set foot in CA.  You can read about that court case here: https://www.coblentzlaw.com/california-office-of-tax-appeals-gives-precedential-authority-to-bindley...

If you are a sole proprietor, you'd have to file a non-resident CA return and pay CA taxes on that income.  If that's your situation, complete your resident state tax return first, before you do the non-resident state return.  That's because CA and AZ are reverse-credit states.  If you have income taxed by both states, your non-resident state will give you a credit for taxes paid to your resident state on the same income.  This is the opposite of most "other-state-credit" situations.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to file MN taxes.  You are only required to file taxes for the states where you live or work.  Just because the company is located in MN, does not mean you pay MN taxes.  You would pay were you live.  Since Florida does not have a state tax, you would not file a state return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
arizonapr

Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I live in Arizona but work remotely for a company in California. The California company withdrew CA taxes. How do I file to get that money back? 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

You need to file non-resident CA return to get back the taxes withheld.

Remember to always file your non-resident return before the resident return.

Thanks I am currently filling out my non-resident return (before my resident return) and am getting confused as to what to enter. On other posts I've read people are saying to add zero for the amount earned. On section is asking me what my self-employment income was from CA sources while a non-resident. What do I enter here? It is in the section that says "One half of self-employment tax" and is giving me my federal deduction for my self-employment tax.  Also, in another section it is asking me what my student loan interest deduction is. I have the federal adjusted amount..do I also enter that in the California amount?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you were self-employed and doing that work in California, then you would enter your net income from the self-employment work during the time that you worked in California.

For the self-employment tax, you would multiply the number on your federal return by a percentage. The percentage would be your net income from self employment while working in California (the number you entered above) divided by your total net income for the year from self-employment.

For the student loan interest, your can divide the number of days you worked in California during the year by 365, and multiply the result by your student loan interest for the year.

The thing is I didn't work in California. I worked remotely from Arizona for a company based in CA. From my research I see that I should place zero in order to get all the state taxes returned that were paid to CA. 

TomD8
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

@cstokesPR -- If you are a W-2 employee for a CA-based company, and you never lived in or physically worked in CA, then submit a non-resident CA return, showing zero CA income, in order to have any withheld CA taxes refunded to you. 

But if you are a self-employed sole proprietor, and you received a 1099-MISC from a CA-based client, due to a 2019 court decision that income would be taxable by CA even if you never set foot in CA.  You can read about that court case here: https://www.coblentzlaw.com/california-office-of-tax-appeals-gives-precedential-authority-to-bindley...

If you are a sole proprietor, you'd have to file a non-resident CA return and pay CA taxes on that income.  If that's your situation, complete your resident state tax return first, before you do the non-resident state return.  That's because CA and AZ are reverse-credit states.  If you have income taxed by both states, your non-resident state will give you a credit for taxes paid to your resident state on the same income.  This is the opposite of most "other-state-credit" situations.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thanks I had no idea and am now trying to fill out my non-resident CA tax form and it's not picking up the amount on my 1099-MISC. When I get to the page to input all my earned income from the state it shows a federal deduction of one half of my self-employment tax (which is lower than the total amount earned) and when I try to input it it say it can't be higher. Note I also received a W2 from California and not sure if this amount is coming from that. I'm so confused as to where I input the 1099 misc amount. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies