turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in DC but work in VA. How do I need to file my taxes?

I live in DC but work in VA. I recently changed jobs, but still have the same living-working situation. The W2 from my previous employer states that I paid VA taxes, even though I live in DC. The W2 from my current employer states that I paid DC taxes. I was prompted to complete a non-resident form for VA and got essentially the tax I paid to VA back in a refund amount - but owe almost $3K in DC taxes. How do I know what I've already paid in DC taxes, and should I list the amount of tax paid to VA as double taxation to DC? 

Also, when I put in a requested refund for VA, I'm granted any value I put in (essentially) saying that I had paid that much in VA state taxes. Is that normal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you live in DC and work in VA, you only pay tax to DC. 

You will be taxed on all your income on your DC return. 

The amount of state tax you paid should be listed on your W-2. 

The state tax withheld for VA has nothing to do with your DC return, since they have a reciprocal agreement, you only pay tax to the state in which you live. 

It makes sense that you get the VA tax refunded, and you also need to pay DC tax on the income from the first employer who did not withhold the proper DC tax on that  income. 

Click the link below for more information:

Reciprocal states

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much!! Also, when entering my VA taxes it asked what my requested refund would be, and it granted any number that I put in whether it was $3K or $4K saying that I had already paid that in VA taxes. Is that normal, or does it sound like a software issue? Thank you!!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please look at your W-2 to see how much tax was withheld and paid to VA. You can request up to that amount. The remainder of your refund would be applied to next year's tax. 

Since you are only obligated to pay DC tax, you should request the entire amount as a refund. You should not need to file a VA return next year if the employer withholds only DC tax from your paychecks. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies