Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have noticed that everyone's program is taking the exemption off the misc. income instead of unemployment which is causing a false return for NY residence

I have noticed that everyone's program is taking the exemption off the misc. income instead of unemployment which is causing a false return for NY residence
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The NY return will be correct.  TurboTax is programmed to add the amount of unemployment income deducted on the federal return back in to the New York state return as an adjustment.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

at the present time NY is taxing UC. there is no exemption like for the federal. 

I will use your software then. Because the others are not taking off unemployment benefits,  they are taking from miscellaneous income. Which is lowering New York taxable income.  

This I know, I only caught the software error because I know what I owe NY and that's when I found it coming off the wrong income which made it affect my NY and has me owing less. Thank goodness I did taxes for 15 years and know what to look for.  Just didn't want to waste time putting everything in if it was going to be the same as the other 2 sites. Thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies