Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already e-filed federal, then went to e-file NY state and it says I can't do it without federal. My federal was already accepted (I'm using TT Delux CD version) so I thought state should work. Any tips? Do I need to just mail it?

I already e-filed federal, then went to e-file NY state and it says I can't do it without federal. My federal was already accepted (I'm using TT Delux CD version) so I thought state should work. Any tips? Do I need to just mail it? Really bummed that TT didn't give me a big warning when I filed federal alone if it wasn't going to let me do state later. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IWix
Level 3

I already e-filed federal, then went to e-file NY state and it says I can't do it without federal. My federal was already accepted (I'm using TT Delux CD version) so I thought state should work. Any tips? Do I need to just mail it?

Good Morning All -

I have the Desktop version.  Just by chance I decided to launch TT this morning and surprise - there were updates.  

I was able to successfully file my state return -

Hope the same is true for each of you.

I work in Information Tech in my company and as frustrating as it is, I am glad they were able to resolve the issue and get it promoted prior to their anticipated date, and prior to me needing to paper file.

Have a great day -

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Level 1

Great Question, I have the exact same question except my state is Virginia.  Seems like it is a software issue as I am caught up in a loop that keeps saying you cannot file your state return until you file your fed and then it says you have already filed your fed return.  I would hope Turbo Tax experts would monitor this and chime in with the solution to the software glich.

Same issue with Nebraska taxes. Apparently Intuit has not bothered to read these discussions and fix it.

I ended up calling Turbo Tax and after trying a few fixes the customer service rep said she could see that this is a current issue they’re investigating. There will likely be an update that’ll resolve the issue so for now I guess we just wait until they figure that out. So frustrating but I was happy to know they’re at least aware of the issue and working on it! 

Several discussion threads with the same issues. Keep blowing up TT support until it’s fixed. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-re[product ke...

dooleyk

Same with my Minnesota taxes!

IWix
Level 3

There are a few threads for this same thing.   I have a call into support (a few of them actually), and filled out the form for updates.

I tried all the tips: making sure my software is up-to-date (it is), making sure there are no errors (return is error free).     So now I (all of us wait for a fix).  

Just to play it safe, I sent an email to NY office of taxation, just to cover myself.  NY requires that you efile your return "if" you used tax prep software.   I explained my situation.   If I have to file a paper return (I'll just  print my turbo tax form for NY), so I am not late I'll do that, but it is frustrating since I already paid for my NY filing.    Also, it seems that Turbotax may have had an issue like this before (looking at prior years history).  If that is the case, then resolving the technical issue should hopefully be a bit faster.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Good Luck

Duke15
Returning Member

Same issue with New Jersey taxes! Very frustrated.

Same problem with filing Wisconsin taxes.  An hour with TT support did nothing.  They had no idea what to do but claimed there's no bug.

@sulubat wrote:

Same problem with filing Wisconsin taxes.  An hour with TT support did nothing.  They had no idea what to do but claimed there's no bug.

This is a known problem.  See this - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

So when is this 'known problem' going to be fixed.  I spent an hour screen-sharing with TurboTax support this morning and they (including the supervisor) claimed there is no known problem.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

There is a place to sign up for updates in the link provided by DoninGA above. 

Please sign up there and as soon as the issue is resolved, you will be notified so you can complete your tax return.

@sulubat

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same exact problem here. Spent 2 hours on the phone and screen sharing with customer service this morning and they couldn't figure this out. Said it was because I was using "Microsoft Excel" instead of "Chrome", so we switched that as my default browser. Didn't work....  At the 2hr and 8min mark of our call, and on hold for the 8th time, the line went dead and they hung up on me. WTF!!!!!!

Same in Minnesota

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies