turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA W2 box 12w

I seem to have a dilemma. On my w2, for 12w, my employer HSA contribution lists 6,900. However, only 1,000 of that is actually from my employer, the other 5,900 was contributed by me. If I leave the number, I can't edit it when Turbo Tax asks further questions regarding the HSA. If I put in 1,000, and accurately break it down in the later HSA questions, Turbo Tax tells me I over funded the account by 6,900, which doesn't make sense. So, I'm a little lost.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

HSA W2 box 12w

technically everything on your W-2 is 'from the employer' ...  that is the $6900 (even though you contributed most if it)

but contributions can also be made to the HSA outside of your paycheck - most don't realize that - and  THAT is what TT is trying to capture..... from your description, leave this area at zero (i.e. don't input the $1000 you are trying to as decribed below) because you did not contribute anything outside your paycheck. that will solve your problem correctly

View solution in original post

HSA W2 box 12w

On the W-2 your employer reports the amount that has not been taxed (pre-tax). I know the description says employer contributions, it is really just the amount that has not been taxed. Since these amounts have not been taxed you do not get another tax break on your tax return for those payments. If you made a HSA contribution with taxed money (not through payroll) you would be able to get a deduction on your taxes for that amount.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

HSA W2 box 12w

technically everything on your W-2 is 'from the employer' ...  that is the $6900 (even though you contributed most if it)

but contributions can also be made to the HSA outside of your paycheck - most don't realize that - and  THAT is what TT is trying to capture..... from your description, leave this area at zero (i.e. don't input the $1000 you are trying to as decribed below) because you did not contribute anything outside your paycheck. that will solve your problem correctly

HSA W2 box 12w

On the W-2 your employer reports the amount that has not been taxed (pre-tax). I know the description says employer contributions, it is really just the amount that has not been taxed. Since these amounts have not been taxed you do not get another tax break on your tax return for those payments. If you made a HSA contribution with taxed money (not through payroll) you would be able to get a deduction on your taxes for that amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies