turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to edit the other income explanation in the Schedule 1 box 8z with the Turbo Tax Live?

I notice that the Turbo Tax Live generated form lists the received 1099-MISC in Schedule 1 box 8z as a generic explanation “Other income from box 3 of 1099-MISC”. I just have an extremely small amount of 1099-MISC. I want to explicitly edit the explanation for Schedule 1 box 8z to make it clear.

(1) How could I do that with the Turbo Tax Live edition?
(2) If Turbo Tax Live does not work, does the Turbo Tax Desktop edition have this editing function and could I e-file the edited forms in the Desktop edition?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

How to edit the other income explanation in the Schedule 1 box 8z with the Turbo Tax Live?

There is a list of suggestions you can use for the 1099-MISC on the "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" screen.

In order to enter the amount with a detailed description, you would need to enter the amounts as Other Miscellaneous Income:

Wages & Income

Less Common Income

Miscellaneous Income 

Other reportable income

In this section you can type in a personal description for the 1099-MISC and the amount, which will show on line 8z on Schedule 1; However a copy of the 1099-MISC will not be included since it was not entered on the 1099-MISC screen. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KrisD15 Thanks for the reply.
If I enter them as Other Miscellaneous Income (Wages & Income, Less Common Income, Miscellaneous Income, Other reportable income), I see that the generated form schedule 1 line 8z will change to "See Stmt" and an "Other Income Statement" will be added to the form. In the added document, line 22 Other taxable income, it lists the detailed description I typed.
I was hoping that Turbo Tax Live can simply use the exact description I typed when inputting the only 1099-MISC form.
Does the Turbotax desktop edition support an override to this schedule 1 line 8z along with an e-file?
Thanks

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

In TurboTax desktop the description you type in the box in the "Other Reportable Income" topic will show on line 8z next to the amount. There may be a character limit at some point, but I haven't found one.  The font just continues to shrink to fit the description on the form.  

If possible you might shorten the description in TurboTax online and it will fit on line 8z as well.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DMarkM1 Thanks for the reply. I just tried shortening the description to be lesser than the generic explanation "Other Income from box 3 of 1099-Misc" made by Turbo tax. Turbotax live still uses the generic explanation instead of the one I input for the 1099-MISC. I will try the desktop version later.

My 1099-MISC needs to be clarified because I was restricted to certain types of income. I don't want to use a generic explanation that can raise questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies