Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CL6
Level 2

How to answer the "Colorado portion of Federal Adjustments" and "Colorado Subtractions from Federal AGI"?

Using Turbo Tax Premier 2020.  I'm a resident of California so this is for my non-resident CO state tax return.  For the first question, Federal allows $300 of charitable donations as adjustment. Do I also claim the $300 as a portion of my Colorado income? Or is there an opportunity to claim it on my CA state income tax form? If so, which is better or can I do both?

For the second question there's about $10,000 of federal subtractions. How do I determine what's the CO portion?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to answer the "Colorado portion of Federal Adjustments" and "Colorado Subtractions from Federal AGI"?

CL6,

CO part-year and nonresident income tax is computed by first totaling all income from all sources and then determining what portion is CO income. The ratio of the two is applied to things like the $300 charitable deduction and the portion of computed tax actually due CO.  (For some items, the ratio only includes earned income.)  The CO webpage

https://tax.colorado.gov/income-tax-topics-part-year-residents-nonresidents

Gives you the details on how to apportion the various federal deductions.  I can

View solution in original post

1 Reply

CL6,

CO part-year and nonresident income tax is computed by first totaling all income from all sources and then determining what portion is CO income. The ratio of the two is applied to things like the $300 charitable deduction and the portion of computed tax actually due CO.  (For some items, the ratio only includes earned income.)  The CO webpage

https://tax.colorado.gov/income-tax-topics-part-year-residents-nonresidents

Gives you the details on how to apportion the various federal deductions.  I can

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies