Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I answer this page on my MA return? I collected MA unemployment insurance after moving to VT, and had MA taxes withheld starting 3 mos. in. Please, how to answer:

"Non-Massachusetts Portion of Income"
Enter the non-Massachusetts portion of the following income reported on your federal return. This is known as allocating income. Some allocations may already be done for you. More Info

If none, enter a zero.
All States Non-MA Portion
Unemployment Compensation $[deleted]

I think I should enter zero?? Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

How do I answer this page on my MA return? I collected MA unemployment insurance after moving to VT, and had MA taxes withheld starting 3 mos. in. Please, how to answer:

For your unemployement benefits compensation the non-MA portion will indeed be zero.  MA taxes unemployment from MA sources even if non-resident when it was received.

Remember to complete "credit for taxes paid to another state" topic in your VT part-year return.  You can claim a credit for the tax paid to MA on the unemployment income received while you were a VT resident.   You'll find the topic in the credits section of your VT interview.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Unemployment is Massachusetts income to nonresidents, so you would enter zero as the non-Mass amount.

Taxable unemployment compensation. Your taxable unemployment compensation from employment both in Massachusetts and elsewhere is equal to the amount you were paid in Massachusetts or charged to Massachusetts divided by the amount paid in Massachusetts and elsewhere.

I'm terribly sorry. This part of your answer is totally inscrutable to me:

"Taxable unemployment compensation. Your taxable unemployment compensation from employment both in Massachusetts and elsewhere is equal to the amount you were paid in Massachusetts or charged to Massachusetts divided by the amount paid in Massachusetts and elsewhere.

What on earth does that mean? I was paid in Vermont. I received none of it while in MA because I left MA after they fired us. I do not. know what "charged to Mass." even means?

"Divided by the amount pain in MA," which was zero ..."and elsewhere"... which was the entire unemmployment sum.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

For your unemployement benefits compensation the non-MA portion will indeed be zero.  MA taxes unemployment from MA sources even if non-resident when it was received.

Remember to complete "credit for taxes paid to another state" topic in your VT part-year return.  You can claim a credit for the tax paid to MA on the unemployment income received while you were a VT resident.   You'll find the topic in the credits section of your VT interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies