Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dhaydin63

How do I access PDF files needed to file a WISCONSIN Homestead Credit, and upload them into my TurboTax state return?

what PDF file(s) do I need? A copy of my property tax bill?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

How do I access PDF files needed to file a WISCONSIN Homestead Credit, and upload them into my TurboTax state return?

Follow the prompts to upload the PDF. Be sure to click the Edit, do not click Continue so that the upload window appears.

The Wisconsin Homestead Credit is available in TurboTax by working through the state interview. 

To return to this area in you Wisconsin interview, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, select State and Continue.
  • Select Wisconsin and Continue.
  • Once your Wisconsin interview is complete, you will see Your 2020 Wisconsin taxes are ready for us to check.
  • Scroll down to Other situations and find Required PDF Attachments and select Start/Revisit.
  • At Looks like you need to attach a PDFselect Edit by the pencil icon and follow the onscreen directions.

See the screenshots for what to expect:

See your Wisconsin Department of Revenue for additional instructions:

Claiming Homestead Credit

Wisconsin Department of Revenue Homestead Credit Fact Sheet 1116

Turbo Tax will not let you claim homestead credit for Wisconsin if you had unemployment even though the law clearly states you can. Turbo tax says you don't have 'earned income' and Wisconsin only requires taxable income. https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQS/ise-home.aspx#home1

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You do also need earned Income which does NOT include Unemployment.

"To qualify for homestead credit for 2021 you must meet the following requirements:

You are a legal resident of Wisconsin for all of 2021, from January 1 through December 31.

You are 18 years of age or older on December 31, 2021.

You have less than $24,680 in household income for 2021. See the definition of "household income".)

You meet one of the following conditions:

You (or your spouse, if married, and reside in the same household) have positive earned income during the year. (See definition of "earned income".)

You (or your spouse, if married, and reside in the same household) are disabled. (See definition of "​disabled​".)

You (or your spouse, if married) are 62 years of age or older at the end of 2021.

You own or rent your Wisconsin homestead that is subject to Wisconsin property taxes during 2021. (Persons who reside in mobile or manufactured homes or nursing homes that are subject to property taxes may also qualify to file a claim. See the definition of "homestead".)

You are not claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2021 federal income tax return.

Note: This limitation does not apply if you were 62 years of age or over on December 31, 2021.

You did not live for the entire 2021 year in housing that is exempt from property taxes.

Note: Property owned by a municipal housing authority is not considered tax-exempt for homestead credit purposes if that authority makes payments in place of property taxes to the city or town in which it is located. If you live in public housing, you should check with your rental manager.

At the time of filing a claim, you are not living in a nursing home and receiving Title XIX medical assistance.

You are not claiming Wisconsin farmland preservation credit for 2021.

You are not claiming the veterans and surviving spouses property tax credit on 2021 real estate taxes.

Only one claim may be filed per household. A married couple residing together is one household. (See the definition of "household.")

You are not filing a claim on behalf of a person after his or her death.

You have not received Wisconsin Works (W2) payments of any amount or county relief payments of $400 or more for each month of 2021.

Note: If you received any amount of a Wisconsin Works (W2) payment in 2021 or county relief payments of $400 or more for any month in 2021, your property taxes and rent have to be reduced by one-twelfth for each month you received any of these benefits.

You (or your spouse, if married, and reside in the same household) have positive earned income during the year. (See definition of "earned income".)

You (or your spouse, if married, and reside in the same household) are disabled. (See definition of "​disabled​".)

You (or your spouse, if married) are 62 years of age or older at the end of 2021.

Earned Income

Wages, salaries, tips, other employee compensation, and net earnings from self-employment. Note: Medicaid waiver payments excluded from federal adjusted gross income under sec. 131, IRC, are considered earned income for purposes of determine homestead credit eligibility. Payments which are excluded from federal adjusted gross income are not required to be added back to household income."

WI HOMESTEAD link

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Explain this then. I should be able to file a schedule H-EZ after claiming a loss on my business because I had taxable unemployment. Nowhere in this law does it say 'and' earned income, it says income from the following sources. So why doesn't my situation qualify?

You may file Schedule H-EZ if:

• You (and your spouse, if married) have taxable and nontaxable income only from the following sources:
    1. Wages, salaries, tips, etc. (if any of your wages, salaries, tips, etc., are not taxable to Wisconsin, you cannot file on Schedule H-EZ)
    2. Interest and dividends
    3. Unemployment compensation
    4. Pensions, annuities, and other retirement plan distributions
    5. Social security benefits (including federal and state SSI, SSI-E, SSD, and caretaker supplement payments)
    6. Railroad retirement benefits
    7. Alimony, child support, and family maintenance
    8. Wisconsin Works (W2), county relief, kinship care, and other cash public assistance
    9. Gambling winnings (if your gambling winnings are reported on federal Schedule C or C-EZ, you cannot file on Schedule H-EZ)

• During 2021 you (and your spouse, if married) did not repay any amount that was included as nontaxable household income on a prior year's homestead credit claim
  • You did not become married or divorced during 2021
  • You (and your spouse, if married) were a legal resident of Wisconsin from January 1 through December 31, 2021
  • You (and your spouse, if married) did not maintain separate homes during any part of 2021 (including one spouse in a nursing home)
  • Your home was used only for personal purposes while you lived there in 2021 (for example, no rental or business use, or use of a separate unit by others rent free)
  • Your home was located on one acre of land or less
  • You did not sell your home during 2021

Incorrect. If I have to meet ONE of the following conditions then the condition I meet is the one in bold. Boom. Qualified. 

"To qualify for homestead credit for 2021 you must meet the following requirements:

You are a legal resident of Wisconsin for all of 2021, from January 1 through December 31.

You are 18 years of age or older on December 31, 2021.

You have less than $24,680 in household income for 2021. See the definition of "household income".)

You meet one of the following conditions:

You own or rent your Wisconsin homestead that is subject to Wisconsin property taxes during 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies