Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I enter part time residency for California state return? I moved from Canada to California on August 1st, 2021.

My state of residence going forward will be California. However, I do not believe I owe tax on income received outside of California while I did not live in California. But Turbotax is not prompting me to fill out a 540NR. They are assuming I have been a resident of California for the entire year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

How can I enter part time residency for California state return? I moved from Canada to California on August 1st, 2021.

The 540NR is for nonresidents or part-year residents,  You want to be sure to file as a part-year resident- you will be able to indicate the dates of residency.  Part-Year residents pay tax on income earned while a resident or any California income received while a nonresident.  Note:  California prepares the part-year resident return as if you were a full-year resident, then applies the CA tax to the part pf the year you were a resident.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for the response!

So I don't seem to be getting prompted by TurboTax if I was a part-year resident in my state return.

- At the beginning of filling out my TurboTax information it asks me for the resident state I was in on December 31, 2021. For that I input California. Should this instead be a foreign country/US possession?

- When I get to the state return portion and add California it only prompts me if I filed a California state tax return last year. There aren't any questions about residing outside of California during the year. Is there somewhere else this information is inputted?

I just found the problem. I needed to select that I made money in another state on the my info page and then select foreign country/US possession from the dropdown. Thank you for your help though!

@californiauser45681 

I'm in a similar boat. I left the US (CA) in April 2021 for India, and have been living here since then. My stay in CA for 2021 was only for the first 4 months (Jan-Apr).

Following your advice, I tried selecting Foreign as state of residence, however TT is still not categorizing me as CA-part time resident when I start doing the state taxes.

Any pointers would be really appreciated!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

There is a second question in My Info which asks if you lived in anther state. Did you list California as your previous state of resident and list the date you moved to India? @tbudd

1. Tap My Info in the left column
  2. Tap Edit next to your name
  3. Select Yes beneath I loved in another state in 2021 and enter California and the date you moved to India

In the California section, check your answers on Residency Information During 2021. Yes should be selected on Did you become a California nonresident during 2021?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies