turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help! How do I determine which state I was a resident of?

I worked in Missouri for 7 months in 2022. Since I was laid off, I moved in with my Parents in Arizona for the remaining 5 months as I looked for a new job. I don't know which state my new job will be in. For income tax purposes, how do I determine my state of residence? Missouri makes sense as I worked there and I am in Arizona only temporarily. Arizona may make sense because my driver's license is from Arizona; however, I have never worked in or gone to school in Arizona. 

Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

You do not need to file an AZ return since you did not work or earn income in AZ.  File a part year return for MO.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks! However my W2 shows my AZ income to be the same as all of my income for 2022 and shows no MO income. I called my company, and they say they are sending me another W2 which will show my AZ income = my MO income = all my income for 2022. When I asked them to explain that apparently illogical statement, they said they are escalating the issue to explain their logic. 

Wait---now the story changes.  You said you were laid off and did not work in AZ and just lived with your parents while you looked for a job.  Now you say you have a W-2 with AZ wages on it.    smh

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

All that is true. Never worked in Arizona. Worked only in MO in 2022. W2 shows income in AZ, maybe because when the company sent me the W2, I was with my parents in AZ. 

You could request an extension while you wait for a corrected W-2 from the employer.  If you owe tax, pay the estimated tax due now.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/internal-revenue-service/file-irs-extens...

Thanks again! If I don't receive a revised W2 later today as promised, I think I will file my Federal return as I will get a hefty refund on it, then file an amended return later on. Over the phone, my company told me that the corrected W2 shows AZ income = MO income = Federal income!! When I asked them to explain it, they said they are escalating the matter within the company. 

I received the corrected W2, which shows AZ income = MO income = Federal income, and withholding of state taxes both in MO and AZ. While I have asked the company to explain why AZ is on my W2 at all, I think I will file MO taxes as a resident (worked for 7 months there before moving to AZ to stay with my parents temporarily as I look for a new job), and file AZ taxes as a non-resident. Does that make sense? 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

By chance were you a remote worker?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, MaryK4. No, I was not a remote worker. 

I decided to file as a part-year resident of MO and a non-resident of AZ. Since I had no AZ-sourced income, TurboTax concluded that I owe zero tax in AZ and that I should get my entire AZ tax holding back as refund. My tax holding in MO was short, so I will pay the balance today. Overall, this combination gets me the highest overall refund, and it seems logical to me. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, that sounds correct since you did not work in Arizona.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies