turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kevolivas
Returning Member

Help, every time I try to complete my taxes it says it "didn't go through". This is my first time doing this and I am kinda scared. I am an international student. Help.

I've done it all: paid what was needed and entered my refund information. When I try to "e-file" it says that it "is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending". I've double-checked everything and everything is right.

At the end, when filing, it asks for 2018 tax info but I don't have any (I didn't have taxes that year). Then it proceeds to ask for a way of identification, Driver's ID or State ID, but I am an international student and don't have any.

Please help me, I am truly nervous and scared. I don't know how to proceed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Help, every time I try to complete my taxes it says it "didn't go through". This is my first time doing this and I am kinda scared. I am an international student. Help.

@ kevolivas  wrote:  "I am an international student."

First you need to determine if you can even use TurboTax to prepare a return.     TurboTax can only prepare returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes."   What is your citizenship status?   If you are not a US citizen, then you need to know how you are classified for tax purposes.    TurboTax cannot prepare returns for non-resident aliens, since it cannot prepare the Form 1040NR/NR-EZ.    If it turns out you are a non-resident alien, then TurboTax has an affiliate partner Sprintax (one "t") that prepares returns for international filers who need Form 1040NR/NR-EZ.

1. What country are you from?  
  2. What type of visa are/were you under?
  3. What dates were you in the US during 2019 and prior years?
  4. Are you still in the USA now?
  5. Are you married?

Once you answer those questions, I'll ask someone familiar with international filing to advise you on what all you will need to do.

@ kevolivas   Oops!  I forgot to ask you what type of visa you are/were under in the USA.  I've now added it to the list of questions I asked you above.  Also, are you still in the USA now?

kevolivas
Returning Member

Oh no :( hopefully I can since I already paid.

To answer your questions:

1. I am from Mexico.

2. I am under a F1 VISA status.

3. I was in the US during the whole school year, just coming back in vacations (not breaks).

4. I've returned to my country because of the contingency. 

5. I am single.

kevolivas
Returning Member

Also, I did work inside the school, which is why I have a SSN and a W-2. A friend of mine who is also international had no trouble using TurboTax which is why makes me worry of what can be wrong..

I'm going to ask someone familiar with international situations to assist you with this.   If it turns out you can't use TurboTax, then you'd be able to get a product refund from Customer Support.

@pk   Are you please able to assist this F1 student from Mexico when you are next in the forum?   Thanks!

kevolivas
Returning Member

I was able to solve the problem, thank you!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@kevolivas , having gone through your interaction(s) with @mesquitebean , I am just wondering if you are right in filing using TurboTax -- are you sure you are a resident alien for tax purposes ?   When did you enter the country  with F-1?  I am assuming that this is the first year you are filing a return--yes? 

If you have filed  using  form 1040 and you are not a resident for tax purposes, you will have to  refile using the correct form 1040-NR ( not supported by TurboTax ) , but it is easy to do   ( with downloaded form 1040-NR-EZ and taking advantage of  US Mexico tax treaty ).   Please tell us  when you entered the country with F-1, is this the first time in the USA with F-1, were you in the USA for any reason  in earlier years ??

kevolivas
Returning Member

Hello! I actually reached out to my school and they have helped me notice my mistake (as also both of you). I am now following the right of doing taxes with my status.

Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies