Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VDUB
Returning Member

Gambling winnings in DC but live in MD

I received a W-2G for winning a 50/50 raffle in DC but live in MD. They withheld Federal Taxes but nothing for either state. When I ran it through TurboTax it had me purchase DC state software and then only gave me a form to request a refund when I went through the steps as a non-resident. How do I fill out the DC forms as a non resident to account for those winnings? Or do I even need to? Is it just taken care of through my MD returns? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No. Based on the instructions for the District of Columbia the following are required to file an income tax return: 

Do I have to file a DC income tax return?
You must file a DC tax return if:

• You were a resident of the District of Columbia and you were required to file a federal tax return. (A resident is an individual domiciled in DC at any time during the taxable year);
  • You maintained a place of abode in DC for a total of 183 days or more even if your permanent home was outside of DC;
  • You were a part-year resident of DC (see instructions for part-year residents);
  • You were a member of the United States (U.S.) armed forces and your home of record was the District of Columbia for either part of or the full taxable year;
  • You are the spouse of an exempt military person or of any other exempt person such as a nonresident presidential appointee or an elected official;
  • If you want to receive a refund of DC taxes withheld during the year

Include the raffle winnings on your MD tax return and do not file a DC return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
VDUB
Returning Member

@DianeW777 Thank you for the clarification. Since the turbo tax software incorrectly instructed me to purchase DC software will I be able to get a refund for that purchase? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Use the links below to request your refund for the state product you did not need. Explain the details of what caused the fees for the DC return and that you did not realize you did not need to prepare that return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies