turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

File State Taxes after Federal Filed and Software upgraded & reactivated

I've filed the Federal Return via Turbo Tax earlier, and the software got upgraded and reactivated, now I'm trying to file my State Return. It is going to file Federal again looks like. Question: will it really file the Federal a second time? if yes, how to avoid that? Or if it really files the second time, will IRS be a trouble for me? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It is impossible to e-file your federal return again if you already filed and it was accepted.  Any second attempts to e-file the same federal return with the same Social Security number will be rejected.  So you should be able to choose to file only the state return now.  Be aware that in desktop software there is a fee of $24.99 to e-file the state return.  You can avoid that fee if you print sign and mail the state return instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It is impossible to e-file your federal return again if you already filed and it was accepted.  Any second attempts to e-file the same federal return with the same Social Security number will be rejected.  So you should be able to choose to file only the state return now.  Be aware that in desktop software there is a fee of $24.99 to e-file the state return.  You can avoid that fee if you print sign and mail the state return instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks. Your answer really helps!!

driskill

I don't get it. I efiled my Federal Return but didn't efile my one free state return. DO YOU SAY THAT IT IS TOO LATE AND THAT I CAN'T EFILE MY STATE RETURN NOW WITHOUT PAYING $24.99.

This problem seriously makes me want to look for something besides TurboTax next year. I have been using TT since 1995. Very disappointed.

You were never gong to e-file a state e-file for free using desktop software.   Your software included the program to PREPARE returns for one specific state.  With desktop software there has always been an extra fee to e-file the state return.   You can avoid the state e-file fee by printing, signing and mailing the state return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies