dsmith2038

file multiple states

My husband and I live full time in New York and I earned income from Connecticut.  When I go to enter information for Connecticut as a non-resident turbo Tax is saying I need to file married but separate.  I have never filed this way in the past and do not know how to handle joint dividend 1099's if we file separate. 

fanfare

file multiple states

when you go to file your CT return you must file Jointly.

Your husband won't have any income from CT.

Do your non-resident state first, then take the credit for taxes paid to another state on your resident return.

Probably you did them in the wrong order, right ?

dsmith2038

file multiple states

sorry-the way you describe is the way I've done it in years past. But for 2020 TurboTax tells me 

"based on my Connecticut residency" I need to file separately. this does not make sense since we are both non-residents and in the steps, it says it will be a non-resident form.

I think there might be a "bug" in the software

dsmith2038

file multiple states

this is the new reasoning(it does not make sense) 

Married With Both Spouses Nonresidents and Only One Spouse has Connecticut Source Income

If both spouses are nonresidents and only one spouse has Connecticut source income, the spouse who is required to file a Connecticut income tax return must file as married filing separately unless:

- You filed jointly for federal income tax purposes, and
- You elect to be treated as if both of you were Connecticut residents for the entire taxable year.