Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WhisperingPine
Returning Member

Federal extension not checking "Federal extension filed." box on NJ state return

I filed a federal extension in April of 2022 by making an extension payment via the IRS.gov website - not via TurboTax. I was able to add in the amount I paid under the "Federal" section in TurboTax. However, after this, my extension is not registered on my NJ state return - the "Federal extension filed." box on page 1 of the NJ return is not checked. I have tried redoing the NJ return completely, uploading a copy of my extension payment receipt to documents, but none of this has worked. How can I get the "Federal extension filed." box checked off on my NJ return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Federal extension not checking "Federal extension filed." box on NJ state return

Entering the federal extension payment does not check the box on the New Jersey return. You have to at least start to file a federal extension in TurboTax, even though it's actually too late to file it. Of course, you won't actually file the extension. You don't even have to complete it.

Go to:

• Federal Taxes
  • Other Tax Situations
  • Other Tax Forms - File an extension

After you answer Yes on the first two screens, saying that you want to prepare an extension, the federal extension box on the New Jersey return will be checked.

WhisperingPine
Returning Member

Thanks for your help! I checked in "Other Tax Forms" under "Federal" > "Other Tax Situations", however the "File an Extension" option is not there. I assume that is because it's too late to file an extension.

I'm guessing that I might be out of options to get this box checked. Is there anything else I can try? Should I buy the Desktop version and use Forms mode to try to check the box?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can't check the box in forms mode. It's only checked if there's a Form 4868 in the federal return. "File an extension" does work in the desktop software, in spite of it being too late. That's how I tried it out.

WhisperingPine
Returning Member

Thanks! Do you mind if I ask what version of the desktop software you tried this in, so I can make sure to purchase the right version?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I use desktop Premier, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't work in any desktop version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies