Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

energy credit carryover

Where on my NYS tax return is the info regarding energy credit carryovers? I'm getting a message that TurboTax cannot file my NYS return electronically because it's ineligible due to "Return claims a Solar and Wind Energy Credit carryover".  We do not have any solar or wind energy on our home so I'm not sure what is triggering this error. In 2019 we did purchase new energy efficient furnace and A/C but nothing solar or wind. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

energy credit carryover

To remove the error message regarding the Solar and Wind Energy Credit carryover, please follow these steps:

1. When in your NY return, go to the screen, Take a look at New York credits and taxes.  
  2. In the Your Home section click the /Start/Update box next to Unused Solar Energy Credit Carryover from Prior Years.
  3. On the next screen, Credit Carryover Earned in Prior Years, delete any entries in the boxes.
Poppyseed
Returning Member

energy credit carryover

Cannot find form that lists this. Please tell me form # I should be looking at.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

energy credit carryover

If you are looking for the federal residential energy credit, it is Form 5695. The New York State form for solar energy is Form IT-255.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Poppyseed
Returning Member

energy credit carryover

Each time I try to submit my NY tax return I get the message "Return claims a Solar and Wind Energy Credit carryover". I never applied for a solar and wind energy credit and cannot find on my form where I can make an adjustment to remove this error. Please advise.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

energy credit carryover

@Poppyseed Tax Expert MarilynG1's answer on the following thread may provide you with assistance with this error:   https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/why-is-a-solar-and-wind-energy-credit-carryover-p...

energy credit carryover

The simple solution for this is deleting the NY state return part and re-doing the state return and SKIP under the question for Underpayment penalty topic.

Chuckhoff

energy credit carryover

I have "0" the lines for Solar Caryover, have put 0's in the boxes, and have left the boxes blank.  The Federal tax return has always claimed "0" in the Solar Carryover box.  NYS IT-201 keeps rejecting my return.  How can I correct this Turbotax mishap?

Chuckhoff

energy credit carryover

You're not answering my question, as I have followed your step over a half a dozen times.  Please let me know whaat to do, or fix this Turbotax problem on your end!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

energy credit carryover

It is a good idea to first clear your cache and cookies - which means removing all of the temporary programs that can gum up your web browser.  If that doesn't work, try using a different web browser.

Here is a link on how to clear your cache and cookies.

You are probably better off having someone walk through the return with you to look at your entries so I recommend getting live expert help.

Here is a link to finding a TurboTax expert.

However, that requires upgrading your product which may be an expense you don't want.  In that case you can call an expert and ask questions over the phone.

Here is a link to the TurboTax Phone Number.

energy credit carryover

This is so totally frustrating I need help removing this error.

I can't E- File my NYS Return for tax year 2021 due to TT Claiming I have a Solar or wind credit carryover from a previous year. I never had any sort of solar or wind equipment installed - EVER!!! 

How do I fix this issue?????

[email address removed]

I am sure I am not alone here - HELP !!!!!

energy credit carryover

This has been tried and does not work 

energy credit carryover

great but this has no effect ------ how do i fix this 

Chuckhoff

energy credit carryover

Yes Turbo Tax 2021 sucks.  I filed my returns through the mail because I couldn't email them.  And like you I tried for a week to no avail or help from the Turbo Tax team.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies