Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file state says "you must also select the federal return" (Federal has been received and accepted)

Thanks @drivel2787 I submitted this as a case. 

Will keep you updated

E-file state says "you must also select the federal return" (Federal has been received and accepted)

Im having the same issue. Glad I'm not the only one who is feeling SOL. Im hoping they can fix this issue.

Hello 😊 @drivel2787 @Houpthome @cccjjj1326130 @NYS Cruiser @CynthiaP 

A new FAQ has been released regarding this issue please sign up to receive email notifications. We appreciate your patience!

Link: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

Thanks @mesquitebean for helping me out on this! The faq is live now 🙂

Thank you for letting us know, @TasnimH2

For those who are following this thread, here is another helpful TurboTax article about how to file a State return after filing your Federal taxes.  Keep in mind, you can file them at the same time, but you can't file a state return separately until after the federal has been accepted.

I'm having the exact same problem. I already e-filed my federal return and now want to e-file my state return only TurboTax won't let me. Looks like I'm going to have to print out my return and mail it in. I'm running a Mac desktop.

My federal return has already been accepted. I still cannot get my state return e-filed.

Got the same message and unable to print what was saved seems to be connected to my Federal return.

Hi @will6659 @Danoman thank you for reaching out to us. Please sign up here if you are facing state e-filing issues. 

Link: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after...

Thank you 

Thanks for the link to sign for updates.  Spending 1+ hour with support it is a software issue and needs updated by the developers, no ETA at this point per the information I was given last week.

ditto

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please see this TurboTax Help article:  Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?

@danthome1

Hi TasnimH2 - why is it stamped "SOLVED", when it is clearly waiting for an update? That  causes unnecessary confusion.  Perhaps it should state, "PENDING" or "WAITING for UPDATE" ...   anything but SOLVED.

Capture.JPG

Hi @ReneeM7122   - When you say "... but you can't file a state return separately until after the federal has been accepted", it misses the point on the issue at hand completely. The fact is people are having issues with submitting the State efile AFTER  Fed efile has been ACCEPTED.  TURBOTAX  program knows when checked the status, the Fed file has been accepted. Still  prevents State efile  from going through separately.   FYI.

Furthermore, when you say "Keep in mind, you can file them at the same time, but you can't file a state return separately until after the federal has been accepted."   It is self refuting, because obviously if you can file them at the same time - for certain - the Fed has not been accepted yet.   In short- the Turbotax system is BROKEN. This never was an issue in prior years. At least not for me.

Joedelta

Same problem here, California.  Federal has been e-filed and accepted, state won't try.

I guess I can print out 150 pages of paper...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies