Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Houpthome

E-file state says "you must also select the federal return" (Federal has been received and accepted)

Federal return has been filed, received, accepted and refund deposited.  Now with refund can pay the state...Turbotax will not allow me to file state without federal return filed.  Help, I paid for the file to be filed when I purchased turbotax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

44 Replies

E-file state says "you must also select the federal return" (Federal has been received and accepted)

I believe this may be a developing issue.  Something may be broken.  I myself have seen 4 users report this in just the last few hours that they cannot efile the state return even though the Federal return had previously been accepted.

Are you using desktop software (CD/download) or Online TurboTax?

I've notified the Moderators.

Hold off for now.  Phone Customer Support if you don't get any info in this thread later today.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

@Houpthome 

See the info I left you above.

You also wrote:  "I paid for the file to be filed when I purchased turbotax."

If you are using the desktop product, there is a $25 fee to efile each state return (except no fee for New York state.)    That should not be the cause of the problem you described above, however.

If you're using the desktop product (CD/download), here are a couple of things you can try in the meantime, although it may not help any.   But it might at least rule out some things.

With your return open, in the top left corner of TurboTax, in the menubar click on the FILE menu, and in the dropdown choose "Electronic Filing."  Then in the next menu choose "Check Electronic Filing Status" which will hopefully say "accepted."

Then SAVE the return.

I'd then close TurboTax and relaunch it.

Then try to efile the state return.  

If problem persists, I'd probably close TurboTax, reboot the computer, re-launch TurboTax, and do a "check for updates."   And try again to efile state.

If still unsuccessful, you can phone Customer Support if you wish, or wait to see if any further info is forthcoming in this thread.

Hmmm...I wonder if this user's comment is actually true too, of if C.Supp is just deflecting the situation:

Re: Even after Federal efile accepted, michigan st... (intuit.com)

I suggested using the internal Check Status (desktop) to another user too...they get the email, but that doesn't mean it's been logged into their desktop file until they check within their software...Great Suggestion for desktop people.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I was one of the four users you cited, and my post just got marked as 'spam' by someone.  Interesting.  I'll continue to monitor this thread as I really don't need to have a separate one of my own.  However, I do find it interesting that my post was removed.  Who knows.

Same issue here using Desktop Windows Software.  This sh-- is INSANE this year with Turbotax dropping the BALL big time on so many software glitches and issues.  I couldn't file before due to issue with WV State form, today it updates and gives me this same error although federal return has ALREADY been e-filed and accepted.  Dude Turbotax what are you doing this year?

Ehhh......I cut them some slack this year.  So many ridiculously-late-Congressional changes were made, that it would be virtually impossible for any software provider to keep up.  There is no light-switch possible with some of those congressional actions, dn they've already a huge problem with fraudulent tax returns claiming Stimulus for imaginary people.

My mantra is to Never-ever file before mid-March.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Hello, 

Would you mind sending me screenshots of what you are seeing? I will send you a private message shortly. 

Thanks! 

Hi @Houpthome please check out this FAQ 

Hope it helps. 

I'm having the same problem.  The FAQ most recently cited doesn't help.

I was on the phone with support for over an hour talking, screen sharing and lots of clicking back and forth. They have NO idea what is causing this, there is NO work around and as of this moment there is NO resolution and NO time frame given. Please notice the frequency of the word "NO." As I was unable to stay on the phone any longer, they went ahead an closed the case because I guess they thought that was a good idea instead of actually giving me a case number and making an attempt to fix this issue. 

One hour on support call, sharing screen, attempted deleted state, redownloading it, same issue, form errors out on IT-140 line #1 for adjusted gross income, attempted to delete amount via override and re-add, same issue.  Advised support lady many people are online are complaining about this issue.  They don't seem to have an answer yet at this time for this issue.

CaptureWV.JPG

Even if you get past this line 1 on form still appears to have same error as before 🙂  IT-140 if CARES ACT/ADJUSTMENT for 401k withdrawal appears the form still is NOT updated and ready yet in TurboTax as it says "We are still working on updates related to this for West Virginia and we'll remove this message when it's ready."

@drivel2787  hmm Ok seems I am going to submit this as a case. Will keep you all posted.

thanks !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies