Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file requires federal return

I previously E-filed my Federal return and it has been accepted. I paid for the state E-file but had to wait for an update. Now every time I try to efile I end up with this message

"E-file requires federal return" 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

75 Replies

Are you using the Desktop program?  Please see this error in the link below and please sign the TT sheet at the link below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

I had this issue last night, and continue to have the problem after TT had updated NYS tax program. I filed Federal taxes and held off on NYS taxes till they updated NYS. Now, I have the same issue you have. There is apparently a lot of people, but many are not calling Support. 

If you have the problem with not being able to file State Taxes after previously successfully filing Federal Taxes....Please call support so they will fix it!!!!

Thank you for the link. I tried to run the review again but no luck. 

Hello, 
I'm having the same issue.
Yesterday I have updated everything successfully, NY state included 

after TT update, i tried to e file 
Turbo Tax still doesn't allow me to e-file NY STATE, 
they are asking to go back and to chose a federal first,
but Federal was e filed 03/01 and accepted

Please see bellow  for a exact error message:

THE (last step) screen reads:
''To e-file you must also select the federal return
Click back to select federal and any other returns you d like to file''

So.... you click  the back bottom and it shows that your federal already e-filed 
THE screen reads
''select the returns you are ready to E file'' 
''NEY YORK'' '' E-FILE MY STATE RETURN NOW''

''THE FOLLOWING RETURNS HAVE BEEN TRANSMITTED''
''NJ,'' ''FEDERAL''

P.S:
I did call TT today and created the ''investigation'', they gave me a number
but they didn't take the screenshots so i don't believe if somebody is going to  do something.

•  
Amora30

Where can I find the support number?

same here... TT support is a joke

efileRequired.png

If you're experiencing an error message related to e-filing, please use the following form to reach out to us:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

The issue also might have to do with your cache.  

Your browser stores recently visited webpages as temporary files in a cache, which enables the pages to load more quickly when revisited.

However, a full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

Here are the official instructions for the most popular browsers:

Apple's official support site doesn't appear to contain instructions for clearing the cache in Safari. Your best bet is to search the Internet for clear Safari cache or similar search terms.

Here is a TurboTax article about e-filing.

@Amora30

@roberto77rb

I suggest to folks who are having an issue with the NY Return and the IRA withdrawal under the CARES Act that they delete ALL NY data (which is an option under File), and restart the NY return.  When I did, TT picked up the federal input and the NY update restarted, issues resolved.  Just saying ... sometimes TT hangs itself with the data already input and doesn't refresh the program as you think it should.  My theory is, sometimes it's just better to start from scratch when you have so much at stake.

@ReneeM7122  This is not the online version that is having the issue. This is the desktop software that is having the issue and is happening on both Mac/Windows platforms. This forum was littered with people having this issue, but many I no longer see.  I've called TT support 3 times, the first time was over an hour as they took screenshots. then at the end of the call, I get an email stating they closed it!

There was also a form they were having people fill out about this issue: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

@cdelaurentis I was really, really, really hoping this was going to work. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. Still get the message "E-file requires federal return". I already E-filed the Federal on March 5th, received confirmation it was accepted, and actually received my Federal refund today. 

Here's to hoping someone actually sees this and lets us know there's at the very least some hope. As far as I can tell, no one is working on this or willing to acknowledge it's an issue at TT!!!

After hours of customer service I uninstalled the TurboTax Deluxe CD, Installed the Download they sent me, updated the files ran the review and asked to refile my state return.....

NO

problem still there.  Federal return accepted, won't efile state return.

not the cd problem.

I am sorry my suggestion didn't help.  I am using the CD version on a MAC Book Pro.  I also upgraded the TT version from Deluxe to Premier because of the problem I was having with the IRA withdrawal.  However, I did not file my federal return before the state, and perhaps that is what is causing the problem.  I hope TT solves the problem soon.

I am having the same exact issue, I also spent hours on the phone with support, to no avail, TT better fix this...

@ReneeM7122  I cleared all the caches, The problem still exists...This is definitely a TT programming problem....I filled out the form...I hope they fix this soon....

I also am encountering the same exact issue.  This is the desktop version of Turbotax Deluxe on windows machine.  

"E-file requires federal return" 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies