turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Difference in expected return and actual return is more than $6600

I filed using the Turbo Tax E-File with both state and Federal and electronic deposits.

My Federal return was promptly deposited and accurately matched Turbo Tax.

My state return was flagged by the state and needed personal verification according to the letter to prevent identity theft. However the day I faxed the required information it was processed and routed for a deposit on the same day. Four days later I received notification from the bank via e-mail the deposit was made in the amount that was $6,600 less than what was expected. No letter from the state has been received informing me my return was modified by the state or audited by the state.

Panic set in and I suspected identity theft.

The bank was contacted and it was confirmed the deposit came from the same routing number as last year. So identity theft is off the table so far.

How can the return be corrected and how was the return modified. Everything was submitted via electronic transfer.

What should I do next?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

You will definitely have to follow up with the state to find out why they changed the refund.  If you get the details, please post if it is related to the filing and we can try to help.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

California experimented with fraud prevention by delaying refunds until the filer contacted a third party to verify their identity.

The process resembled a scam but eventually, after a lot of research and double-checking, I finally confirmed the third party was legitimate. However, the process didn't end there. For me, I received a significantly lower amount was received and I had to contact the third party once again. This time I was feeling less confident in contacting the third party. After positive verification was established I was told the balance would be sent to my bank within 10 days. About ten days later the deposit did not appear but before contacting the third party I waited for the snail mail to be delivered. Sure enough, the balance was in the form of a check and delivered as promised.

This was extremely nerve-racking and more complicated than it should have been but understandable since hackers and scammers have become a profitable profession for criminals.

@robert Craig 19 - did you have your turbo tax fees netted from your federal refund???? if so, it does go through a third party, SBTPG, which is a subsidiary of Greendot Bank 

Well, more than $6,600 is a rather state refund, so be glad they checked it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies