Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Change of State and Stock Sale

I lived in NJ until October 2019 when I moved to PA.

I may sell stock now in December 2019.

Which state tax form will have the effect of the stock sale?  I realize I will have two states to file for 2019.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RachelW33
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct, you will need to file a part-year tax return for both NJ & PA in 2019.  If you sell stock in December 2019, the profit or loss from the sale will be allocated to your PA return, since that is where you will be living when the stock is sold.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RachelW33
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct, you will need to file a part-year tax return for both NJ & PA in 2019.  If you sell stock in December 2019, the profit or loss from the sale will be allocated to your PA return, since that is where you will be living when the stock is sold.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

However, be aware that there can be NJ tax implications if the stock was acquired via an employee stock incentive program.  In this case if the acquisition of the stock took place in 2019 and created "compensation", (e.g., a NonQualified Stock Option), or if the sale of the stock creates compensation, (e.g., a disqualifying sale of stock acquired via an Incentive Stock Option), then that compensation will be included with your NJ income tax return.

This is an ESOP employee stock.  The last purchase was over 10 years ago and all is qualified.  All common stock of dividends was sold long ago, and I no longer reinvest.  There is a discount price for the stock based on the employer plan at 5%.  Does the sale then effect NJ tax form or just my new state of PA?

And I no longer reinvest.

"Does the sale then effect NJ tax form or just my new state of PA?"

Because you used the word "qualified" I'm assuming that you really meant "ESSP."

It's impossible to say without knowing all the facts.  A qualified sale of stock acquired via an ESPP can create compensation.  If you use the ESPP "guided" interview TT will make that determination.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies