Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I use turbotax as j1 2020

I made my taxrefund with TurboTax but now I am reading that if I am a j1 I cannot use it.

Is this still happening in the tax year 2019, I just filled the tax refund in 2020.

I've read something about 183 days. Ive been living for more than 183 days in US in 2019

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As a J1 visa holder, you are a nonresident alien and have to file form 1040NR.

TurboTax doesn't support Form 1040NR: U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, but we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

You made reference to the Substantial presence test, but as a J visa holder, you are an exempt individual and the test does not apply to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Eth_88

Hi. 
I know 2 J1 visa holderswhoe already filled out their tax refunds using turbotax. And they already got their money back. Why you keep saying they should not used it and they didn’t have any problem?

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

When you are here on a J-1 Student Visa, you cannot count the days present in the U.S. To satisfy the Substantial Presence Test.  Before you can file using Form 1040 using TurboTax, you must be classified as resident alien for tax purposes.  While on a J-1 Student Visa you cannot count the days for any part of five calendar years.  If you are here on a J-1 non student visa, you are exempt from counting days for any part of two years in any six-year period.

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

If your friends entered the country after 2014 on a J-1 Student Visa or after 2016 they could not be considered a resident alien should have filed a Form 1040-NR for a nonresident.  TurboTax does not support Form 1040-NR return. You will need to use Sprintax to file a Form 1040-NR return. If you have questions you can contact Sprintax Help for assistance.

They will need to have a Form 1040-NR prepared and then amend the return they filed through TurboTax.  She might owe some taxes as the Form 1040-NR does not have the same deductions as the Form 1040.  

They will need to File a Form 1040-X to amend the return. TurboTax does not support Amending a return going from a Form 1040 to a Form 1040-NR.  If Sprintax is unable to do the amendment, they might need to consult a local tax professional in her area.

TurboTax does not ask what your Visa status is before you begin your return. It assumes you are a citizen or a resident alien and are allowed to file their return through TurboTax.

remi123

Assuming is the first step towards misconception. 

Tmaxr

I'm a J1 student and I file for my taxes using TurboTax, it said accepted will I be able to receive the refund?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You will need to contact Sprintax.com to help you correct the error of filing a 1040 form instead of a 1040NR.  If you do get a refund, it may not be the correct amount so you may have to pay it back, since the 1040NR has different deductions and credits than the 1040.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies