Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I force standard deduction for state

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Depends on the state as some force you to take the same type of deduction as your federal.   

The link below gives a little info on it.  Basically walk through your state tax screens from the beginning and look for the screen that asks what deduction you are taking (if it allows you to change it).  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

~ Amy ~

Minnesota interview doesn't seem to have an option, but just yesterday I had federal itemized and state standard deduction (ie they were different). Today I added some deductions and my MN switched to itemized which made it $400 worse off! I can't switch it back to standard deduction for the state???

Hmm.  I'm from KY so I can't look at MN. 

However, I know MN is one of the states that allows you to choose differently than your federal return so I am not sure why it's not giving you the option.  🤔

~ Amy ~

I got it to work by editing the forms for MN and deleting (most) my itemized deductions and then it switched back to using the standard deduction. I kept the charity which is why it works out better to use the standard deduction vs. itemized. Mn gives you credit for 1/2 charity (after subtracting $500) using the standard deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies