turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

em35566
Returning Member

California Personal Return keeps getting rejected due to missing healthcare coverage

I keep getting this message when my CA personal return gets rejected:

/CA-Return/CA-ReturnData/CAForm540NR/ISRPenalty/PaymentsAfterISRPenalty - Your California return could not be processed electronically due to missing information on healthcare coverage.

However when I get to the healthcare section to fix the problem TurboTax keeps forcing me to skip that section, and the message I keep receiving is: 'Since someone can claim you on their 2020 taxes, you don't have to complete Health Insurance.' 

I don't know how to get around that message and fill out the rest of the healthcare information.  All of the information I keep putting is correct, and my laptop is up to date, I am not sure if mailing my information would make a difference. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

California Personal Return keeps getting rejected due to missing healthcare coverage

Thank you for that.

In order to correct the message, you will need to review your input in a few few places.  

Log back into TurboTax and select My Info located in the black panel on the left. (If you do not see the black panel, simply select any input section and the black panel will show up.) 

1. Select Edit to the right of your name. 
  2. Scroll down to Section 3 and change you answer to no under Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return.

Dependent classification

Since you were not a full time student, you do not meet the requirements to be claimed as a dependent.

Dependent qualifications

Once you have updated the information above, go back to the California return.

1. Select State in the black panel on the left hand side of your screen when logged into TurboTax.
  2. This will take you to a screen titled Let's get your state taxes done right.  Click continue on this screen.
  3. You will see the following screen titled Status of your state returns.  Select Edit to the right of California to review your entries.

State tax return

Proceed through the screens until you see the prompt for health insurance coverage.  You will be able to update your entry here to reflect your health insurance coverage.

Health insurance coverage

Once you update your answer above, you will be able to proceed to file your tax return.

Please comment and let us know if this resolves your electronic filing issue or not.   Thank you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2020" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution. 

em35566
Returning Member

Hello! Thank you for your reply. My token number is 766068.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for that.

In order to correct the message, you will need to review your input in a few few places.  

Log back into TurboTax and select My Info located in the black panel on the left. (If you do not see the black panel, simply select any input section and the black panel will show up.) 

1. Select Edit to the right of your name. 
  2. Scroll down to Section 3 and change you answer to no under Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return.

Dependent classification

Since you were not a full time student, you do not meet the requirements to be claimed as a dependent.

Dependent qualifications

Once you have updated the information above, go back to the California return.

1. Select State in the black panel on the left hand side of your screen when logged into TurboTax.
  2. This will take you to a screen titled Let's get your state taxes done right.  Click continue on this screen.
  3. You will see the following screen titled Status of your state returns.  Select Edit to the right of California to review your entries.

State tax return

Proceed through the screens until you see the prompt for health insurance coverage.  You will be able to update your entry here to reflect your health insurance coverage.

Health insurance coverage

Once you update your answer above, you will be able to proceed to file your tax return.

Please comment and let us know if this resolves your electronic filing issue or not.   Thank you.

em35566
Returning Member

I was able to change my health coverage options! I am finishing up the rest of the non-healthcare related questions. Thank you for the help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies