turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

broc2
Returning Member

Amended CA 540X 2020

I printed out  540X in preparation to mailing.   what is the meaning of the top line "amended, do not process--attach to schedule X".   specifically  the "do not process"  part is what I'm questioning?  i.e. planned to mail in to CA FTB  with expectation it will be processed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Amended CA 540X 2020

Schedule X is used to report the changes to your return as originally filed.  Form 540X only applies to tax year 2016 and earlier tax years.

Do you have a Schedule X included in your return?  If so, this is the form that needs to be sent to the Franchise Tax Board, along with the Amended Form 540.  

Please see the link below for more details on what needs to be included as well as where to mail your Schedule X with amended return to.

Information on amending a CA return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
broc2
Returning Member

Amended CA 540X 2020

you are correct, the form I'm filing is CA form 540 along with CA schedule X.  My question is, above the bold print (2020 California Resident Income Tax Return 540)  in fine print, it reads, "AMENDED DO NOT PROCESS--ATTACH TO SCHEDULE X)  This varies from the version available from CA FTB website, where there is an actual box to check to indicate amended return.  But my question is not how to file or fill out the return.  I am asking specifically why, after indicating it's an amended return, does it say "DO NOT PROCESS"  and what that means? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies