Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Booby439
Returning Member

$39.99 fee to process State return

After completing the federal tax return and without doing anything about how to e-file I went to process the state return and I got the message "For just $39.99, we can finish your Virginia taxes in minutes."

I have not requested any professional help either which I believe charges the same amount. I have always just done both federal and state and then paid by credit card the $19.99 fee. So the program will not allow me to complete the state return without paying this upfront $39.99.  I have never had to do this in the several years that I have used TurbTax.  What is the fix??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I have attached a link to the website which compares available products. 

The CD/Download actually includes 5 federal e-files.  It does say that it is additional to prepare and file the state return.  

CD/Download product pricing

As you are in the "Basic" program, the state is not included. 

If you purchase the Deluxe version and higher, it does include 1 state download.  

The cost for "Live" help is higher.  You can see the different costs under "Products & Pricing" for online products.  There are 2 options to select:  "You can do it" or "Live A CPA can help".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kurmatt

"TurboTax® Free Edition | $0 Fed. $0 State. $0 To File‎" but its 39$ for state? am i missing something?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax Free Edition is an online-only product that supports simple tax returns that can be filed on Form 1040 without any attached schedules.

Simple tax situations covered in TurboTax Free Edition:

• W-2 income
    • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
    • Claiming the standard deduction
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
    • Child tax credits

Please click Is TurboTax Free Edition right for me? to learn more. 

Turbo Tax fees you are charged will depend on any add-ons you may have selected when completing your return.

If you selected to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, there may be an additional fee for the Refund Processing Service.

You can view a breakdown of your TurboTax charges by signing in to your online return. Once you have signed in and selected to continue your return, select Tools from the My Account drop-down list in the upper right corner. In the pop-up window, select My Fees to get a breakdown of your TurboTax charges.

You can remove any add-ons before you pay by selecting:

•    Remove upgrade to Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business

•    Remove MAX

•    Remove Refund Processing Service

•    Remove TurboTax State

•    Remove TurboTax Premium Service

•    Remove TurboTax Federal Free Edition PLUS

Click this link to learn how to remove Premium Fees. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2154391-how-do-i-remove-premium-services-from-my-purchase

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies