Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mmccool719
Returning Member

Qualified Business Income in OHIO - 1099 NEC

I cannot find my original post so I am trying agin today:

In Ohio, the first $250,000 of Qualified Business Income is 100% deductible.  I am having a hard time trying to decipher if our 1099-NEC is "qualified" and Ohio Taxation could not even really tell me with confidence.  Husband's income is commission based.  I am a part time contracted remote insurance nurse.  Both sources of income are 1099 NEC.  It makes a huge difference if I can get this right - goes from owing over $5k to being refunded around $500.  Any clear help is much appreciated!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TaxRayM
Returning Member

The 1099 NEC is considered to be business income in Ohio.  Enter the 1099 NEC on the federal income and link it to your schedule C You would fill out the schedule C with related expenses. This would qualify for the Ohio business deduction 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

In general, most Schedule C businesses generate Qualified Business Income.  That is not always the case, there are some exceptions that kick in after a certain level of income.

Take a look at the following TurboTax help articles for more information that may help:

Do I qualify for the qualified business income deduction?

What is the Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction?

Also, taking a look at the following resource from the Ohio Department of Taxation, any sole proprietorship qualifies for the Ohio business deduction.  The Federal definition of QBI is not a factor.

Ohio Business Income Deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies