Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

portion of 1099 int state tax exempt

Fidelity issued me a 1099 int with 4k of interest. 1k are from agency bonds not taxable by state. if i click on my state doesn't tax all of this interest, 100% of the interest gets deducted from the NJ return. It seems to be an all or nothing option. Turbotax was not helpful. Suggested it was a fidelity issue. I'm concerned about changing information on the 1099 so turbotax will correctly calculate it (seems to work if i deduct the agency bond interest in the amount of interest in box 1 and then add the agency interest to box 3 (int on treasury obligations). That's how vanguard handled it. I guess other option is breaking the interest up into 2 separate 1009 int entries?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It would be best to break the entry into two Form 1099-INT entries. The IRS will compare the total of the Form 1099 entries reported to them with the total income category amounts reported on your tax return to insure you reported everything. So, as long as the totals are correct you can spilt Form 1099 entries into several parts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It would be best to break the entry into two Form 1099-INT entries. The IRS will compare the total of the Form 1099 entries reported to them with the total income category amounts reported on your tax return to insure you reported everything. So, as long as the totals are correct you can spilt Form 1099 entries into several parts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies