Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Please Help Single Partially Employed, College Student, Part Year Resident - Do i need to file NC Taxes?

Can you please help me understand if i need to file a tax return for the state of NC ?

I am a part year resident of NC - ~ 200 days

I made ~$15k gross - while living in MA in 2023.  (Working from Jan - May 2023)

I made $0 income living in NC in 2023

I was a full time student from June - Dec 2023.

I do not believe that i have any tax due to state of NC, but do i still need to file?

Thanks so much for you help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Please Help Single Partially Employed, College Student, Part Year Resident - Do i need to file NC Taxes?

Yes, if you received it while you were a resident of NC, then that would be part of your NC income.  However, since is it less than $12,750, you would not need to file a return to report it. 

NC Income filing requirements

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If NC is not your home state and you are just there attending college, and you earned no income in NC, then no, you do not have to file a return for NC.  

@Vanessa A 

The confusion is that now i am a NC resident.  I moved there in May 2023.  But i have not earned any income while i was there.

So where does that leave me with respect to filing in NC ?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you have not received any income while a resident of NC, then you would not need to file a NC return.  You would only file a return for NC if you received income WHILE a resident of the state regardless of where the income came from. 

@Vanessa A 

One more question ... if the interest income from bank accounts was about $1300 - even though the banks were outside of NC.  Would i have to pay taxes on that interest income for NC?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you received it while you were a resident of NC, then that would be part of your NC income.  However, since is it less than $12,750, you would not need to file a return to report it. 

NC Income filing requirements

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies