Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Physically work in a different state than my w2

Hello, I live in Massachusetts and pay Massachusetts state tax. I physically work in New Hampshire but my pay stub and w2 have an address in Maine. Do I put that I made income in the state of Maine and get charged Maine income tax or do I put $0 when asked about source income in Maine? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Ignore the addresses on your pay stub and W-2. They have nothing to do with what state you pay tax to. If you live in Massachusetts and work in New Hampshire you pay tax only to Massachusetts. (New Hampshire has no tax on wages.) All of your income is taxed by the state that you live in, no matter where the income is from. If you worked in a state that had income tax on wages, you would have to pay tax to that state. But since you work in New Hampshire you pay tax only to the state that you live in.

Which address on your W-2 is a Maine address, the employer's address or the employee's address (your address)? If it's the employer's address it doesn't matter. It doesn't mean that that's where you work. It's just where their payroll office or main office is. If the employee's address is in Maine, that makes it look like you live in Maine. You might get a letter from Maine Revenue Services saying that you have to pay Maine tax because you are a resident of Maine. You can deal with that if and when you get such a letter. But make sure that your employer has your correct home address.

Thank you for your help, it is the employers address on the w2 and pay stubs is in Maine. My address shows the right one in Massachusetts and I physically work in New Hampshire. Just very confusing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies