turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part year resident reporting interest income

I moved to Wisconsin from Nevada.  Nevada does not have personal income tax, Wisconsin does.  I have interest income from an account I have held all year.  How do I enter into turbo tax just my interest from my time in Wisconsin for my state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Click this link for info on How to Allocate Income for a Part Year Resident

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

there are two common methods for this type of income specific allocation - the interest earned is split based on what was earned in each state while a resident the other method is to prorate the total based on number of days or months you resided in each state.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Allocating unearned income is pretty straightforward: just allocate it to the state you were a resident of when you received it. Here are some examples:

• You received three quarterly dividend payments while living in Arkansas, and the remaining dividend while living in Oklahoma. Allocate the first three payments to Arkansas and the last payment to Oklahoma.
  • You sold some stocks right after you moved to Iowa. Allocate the gain to Iowa.
  • You closed an interest-bearing account while still living in California, so you'd allocate 100% of the interest to California.
    • On the other hand, if the account remains open, you'd allocate the interest you earned as California resident to California, and the remainder to your new state. An easy allocation method is to divide the year's interest by 12, and then multiply the figure by the number of months you lived in each state.

How do I allocate (split) income for a part-year state return?  This link has info on allocating both earned and unearned income on part-year state returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies