Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KenDoesHisTaxes
Returning Member

Part-Year NY Resident Credit

TLDR: Part-year NY resident attempting to claim resident tax for pass through entity withholding in Illinois. In completing New York form IT-112-R, Turbotax is populating column A ("New York Total" in TurboTax speak) with federal (combined, full year) figures instead of my part-year New York figures. Is there a fix? I've already allocated my income and everything else in this return works fine.

Longer version:

I have an S-Corp based in Illinois that paid distributions to me this year while I was first an Illinois resident and then a New York resident (presently NY resident). Illinois imposes pass through withholding on the S-corp for non-residents, which I paid, but my understanding was I'd be able to recoup the New York portion of that via the Resident credit (form IT-112-R).

The instructions for IT-112-R specifically say "Residents and part-year residents: Do not enter in column A or B any income that is taxable to the other taxing authority but not taxable to New York State." This makes sense because I just want a credit in New York for the share of income New York wants to tax that has already been taxed in Illinois.

However, when I go to the TurboTax module for New York's credit for "Taxes Paid to Another State", it automatically populates column A with the combined (Federal) amounts, not the portion I allocated to New York. Any attempt to fiddle with the numbers I can control (column B) has its pros and cons and either way, the form just comes out wrong.

Any ideas? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It's correct.  New York taxes all of your income.  That's why the Illinois income is giving you a credit.  New York is taxing that too.

@KenDoesHisTaxes 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KenDoesHisTaxes
Returning Member

Thanks. What does this mean, in the instructions for IT-112-R: "Residents and part-year residents: Do not enter in column A or B any income that is taxable to the other taxing authority but not taxable to New York State." ?

You're saying all income is taxable to New York State and thus this instruction is superfluous?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

No, I should have spoken more specifically.  New York taxes all of your income that you have earned.  There are exceptions to what New York will tax.  There just aren't very many of them if you are a part year resident.  If you were a non-resident then you would put anything that was not income earned from a New York source in that box.  The return you are doing is for both part-year and non-residents so there are some items that don't apply to you as a part year resident.

@KenDoesHisTaxes 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies