Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tom_kozak61
Returning Member

PA state tax

Hi I am a full year resident of PA and collected some unemployment from NY. I did the NY non resident return and was taxed on my investment income. I am filling my PA return and they are also taxing my same investment income. Is there a way to get a credit from PA on this investment 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

PA state tax

Investment income is generally not taxable to nonresidents unless it is related to employee stock. NY unemployment received by a nonresident is taxable to NY.

If your investments are taxable to NY you can claim a credit on your PA return. Go to Credit for taxes paid to other states.

PA does not tax unemployment so you can't claim a credit for tax paid on unemployment. You'll have to manually adjust the numbers. For example, if your NY income was $10,000 and $8,000 was unemployment and $2,000 was investment income, then you would report $2,000 as income to PA for the tax  credit and 20% of the NY tax based on the income percentage ($2,000/$10,000).

Learn more: New York State Tax Treatment of Stock Options, Restricted Stock, andStock Appreciation Rights Receiv...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tom_kozak61
Returning Member

PA state tax

Yes this was helpful. Do I take the credit on the income or the tax? I think it’s the income 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

PA state tax

You take credit for the tax paid in a nonresident state. Here is how the 'other state tax credit' works:

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state

If you don't have tax in the other state, then there is not going to be a credit for that state on your resident state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies